PDA

View Full Version : [other] do I need a new psu?

sagarhshah
August 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
hey guys I recently changed the hard drive on my desktop rig from an 80 GB Maxtor IDE drive to a seagate 1 TB Sata model.

Ever since then I have been having a few issues with my pc.
Everytime I plug in my ipod my computer cuts out after around 30 seconds.

It doesn't happen when I have the 80 gb drive instead of the 1tb.

From what I can see I feel the 1tb probably draws more power than the 80 gb drive and when I plug in the ipod it basically can't give out enough power and cuts out.

My rig is as follows
amd athlon x2 6000
nvidia 7800 gs agp 256mb
asrock alive dual sata mobo
1 tb seagate baracuda
writemaster ide dvd-rw
Advance MPT-460P psu (max output 460 w)

What do you guys think might be causing my computer to cut out when I plug in my ipod?
Am I right in suspecting that the psu can't give enough power?

thanks for your input!!

btw it doesn't matter what OS(ubuntu, puppy, windows) I try this in.
Its the same result everytime.

Joeb454
August 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
It certainly looks like you do, though looking at how much output it should give - It should be fine :confused:

It's hard to test another PSU as well which makes it more difficult to answer.

EDIT: Just realised - it also depends how efficient the PSU is :)

sagarhshah
August 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
I've just been looking at my setup
At the moment I have my dvd drive and hdd drive connected on one rail
And on another rail all I have is 2 case fans.
I will try switch one of the drives to the other rail and see if this makes a difference.
If I can sort this out without having to shell out money for a new psu it would be great.

Will report back later

Sagar

sagarhshah
August 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
ok

I had a proper look at it and it turns out that the other rail(the one with the case fans) is connected to the agp graphics card as well. switching one drive to that rail did not make a difference. I am thinking I might need a new psu after all as the current psu doesn't seem to like my setup.

I will be wanting to add another drive at some point as well so I will probably have to get another psu.

sagar

sagarhshah
September 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM
wohoo finally sorted,

got me a new 750 watt thermaltake psu,

turns out it was the psu and now I got 3 hard drives 2 dvdrw drives and my ipod and its been over an hour and no cut outs :D

well glad thats sorted now I can leave my computer on without worry about it cutting out and damaging my hard drives.

Sagar