PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] a question about the cube

amoateng
August 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I have the cube effect when i press on alt+ctrl+ clicking on the mouse and moving it around, I see the cube. But the thing is I can't make it stay.. is there a way to make it stay cubed?

KinKiac
August 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
I wanted to do the same thing when I started with Ubuntu a couple of months ago. I want to be able to zoom out and have it stay zoomed out and then navigate within that 3d space without it popping back to the desktop when I let go of the buttons. The closest thing I have found so far is the screensaver plugin, its either one of the extra or experimental plugins that you may have to install from source, but it is fairly stable, at least on my box. With it enabled you can hit whatever keybinding you assign to it and it will then zoom out to a rotating cube(or sphere or cylinder) that will stay on the screen till you move the mouse again or hit a button.

You can find a handy little script for getting some of the experimental plugins here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=820802&highlight=install+extra+plugins+compiz&page=4

Page 4 has the latest version of the script(I think) for Jaunty. If you are running an earlier version of Ubuntu you can go back through the pages to get scripts for other versions. Some of those may be unstable but the screensaver one may somewhat do what you are looking for.

Cheers