PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lightening-strike requires new soundcard slot

nss0000
August 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Gents:

Running x64_8.04.1 on AMD5400+/ASUS_M2N kit. UPS+surge protection inline.

Co-incident with a recent thunderstorm & nearby lightening-strike, I lost ALL computer sound function. NO other system function was lost. Swapping speakers with another system pointed to my SB_16 work.alike sound-card as the problem.

Originally I had bought the sound,card because the ASUS_M2N mobo onboard sound chip never worked.

Anyrate, I did NOT do the obvious and swap sound.cards, but immediately bought a new $9 work.alike sound-card and replaced using the same slot. Still no sound! Then after reading about such issues I moved the new sound.card to an adjacent slot and BINGO. After a bit of fluxing with ALSA controls system sound returned !

sonicj
August 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
So everything fine then? Did it actually require the new sound card to work or was it the tinkering that worked?

nss0000
August 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
So everything fine then? Did it actually require the new sound card to work or was it the tinkering that worked?

I don't know.

When I chaqnged_slots for the new sound.card and it worked ... IK counted my blessings. I won't know until the next time I do a kit-cleanimg. **One note** The Altec-Lansing powered speakers were connected to a surge-protector, but not to the UPS! The lightening-strike did-NOT cause an obvious power-loss, but did LIGHT-UP the entire street with a shower of "sparks".