PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Video Playback Issues

rdmike
August 22nd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Hi all,

I have been able to view blue-ray movies and HD vids with no problem now for a while until yesterday. Suddenly, poof, anything high def skips, stutters, distorts, etc using vlc, mplayer, gnome mplayer, or miro. I tried disabling compiz and that didn't help at all. I completely removed vlc and then reinstalled that also didn't help. I assume its some type of codec issue but everything has been working fine. Now, there was an update I was prompted for a few days ago could that have caused this? If so, or even if not, how can I get my high def back?

System
AMD Phenom CPU
7 GB RAM
Nvidia 6150e video adapter
HP w2207h monitor

Appreciate any help y'all can offer.

rdmike
August 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Anyone?

rdmike
August 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. I had added something new in terms of software....ubuntu tweak and the simple compiz settings manager. I've since deleted both but the problem isn't fixed. It's better than it was but not working like it was before I installed the new software. Any idea how to get things back to normal?

Also, I ran computer janitor to see if there was something listed that might be of help (that I could get rid of). Anyhoo, it listed a lot of lib packages but I have no clue whether its safe to delete these or whether deleting these would help solve my issue. Thoughts?

rdmike
August 25th, 2009, 01:13 AM
One other tidbit that may help in solving this issue. There were two files in particular that were not playing as they had in the past, per my original post. Both were .mkv files. I just tried a different h264 file that was also a mkv file and it plays beautifully. Does that suggest the problem is in the encoding or the mkv wrapper itself?