PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 has 3 finger click as hidden feature?

linuxape
August 22nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Having recently read that Jolicloud enabled multi-touch in eePC (http://allabouteeepc.com/jolicloud-uncovers-multi-touch-features-of-eee-pc-701/) I was just fooling around with my Ubuntu8.10 w/ Gnome running on IBM-T43p w/ synaptic touchpad and just stumbled across a 3 finger click. It at least seems to work in Firefox and OpenOffice3.0. It brings up the right click options. I was completely unaware of it till now. I am a newb but do try an keep up with the Ubuntu forums and blogs but I never read about this feature. Is is some sort of easter egg from the Ubuntu team?

Folks why don't you try it out yourself on your installation and see if it works on your system as well? As for me I am still kind of bewildered, that I found this trick after almost a year and half of using ubuntu. I have asked a few friends of mine about this and they haven't heard of it either. For now I am enjoying this new trick till I get bored.

Cheers

tgalati4
August 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Yes, one finger tap is the same as a left-click. Two-finger scroll will move most pages up and down. And three-finger tap brings up the right-click. I'm on a t43p as well, but I've got two sets of mouse buttons, so it's less useful on this machine.

The trackpad is also too small for two-finger gestures such as pinching and expanding.

The new macbooks have a huge touchpad that makes those gestures easier, but still only one mouse button.

matthewbpt
August 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
I discovered this feature too on my laptop, hp dv9225us, after using ubuntu on it for over a year. I had bought an eeepc and I knew this had the feature and it worked imeadiately, then I thought I never tied on my other latop, and I tried and voila it worked! though I know that the feature is touchpad specific, some work some don't, and I have tried on many peoples laptops and most touchpads don't support it out of the box, though with some tweaking of .fdi files you can get support.