PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Connecting Laptop to TV - detected but no picture.

Tug_McGroin
August 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Hi, I have a brand new tv that I am trying to connect to my laptop, but am experiencing a lot of trouble.

First of all, this is the tv I have (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-P50U1.R_11002_7000000000000005702), a Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma, and my laptop is an HP Pavilion dv8000. I am rubbing Ubuntu 9.04 and connecting with a VGA-Component cable. It may be important to note that I dual boot with Windows XP Pro

In layman's terms, I just want my tv to display what is on my laptop screen, to watch movies, youtube, etc. Doesn't matter if both screens are active at once or if, when plugged in, the tv acts like a sole monitor.

I've been searching these forums as well as google for a few days now to no avail. Here is what I think I've learned. The tv is definitely detected. In both Ubuntu and Windows, the tv is detected as another monitor. Now I've used gksudo nvidia-settings according to what I've found in searches. I've tried to configure it using twinview, and as a separate X screen. I've tried changing the resolutions of both screens, making them the same (1024x768 as i've read is the highest a tv can do as a dual monitor), making them both the lowest (800x600). Nothing gave any hint of success.

From what I can tell, the tv is detected but no picture is being displayed at all, not even one in a bad resolution. The only hint of a picture is when booting up Ubuntu, there will be lines of color that appear. In all of the support topics I've read it seemed the people had pictures displayed and were trying to tweak the picture to make it more as it shows on the computer. Mine has no picture.

Is there something really obvious I'm missing or should it not be this complicated? I've tried to give as much necessary info as I can, but let me know if there is more I didn't mention like xorg or something.

Thank you in advance.

Tug_McGroin
August 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Is there anyone with experience regarding my problem?