PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Reinstallation

sambit
August 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi..
I use dual boot xp/ubuntu.I allocated 4 gb of space for ubuntu. Now i want to expand to 10 gb. Can u help me out with these choices and recommend a better solution if u have one. :)

a. Reinstall ubuntu and allocate more space.
b. Allocate a separate partition as download and installation drive.(For Synaptic Package Manager)

Thanx in advance :D

starcraft.man
August 21st, 2009, 09:57 PM
No need to reinstall friend. Not when.........*unveils* gparted is around. *don's TV salesman voice* This software does it all, it moves, makes and deletes, even resizes partitions. You want a new partition table, bam! You want to format a partition. Two clicks and your done. It's the greatest, call now for our special 20 for 1 price of 5 bucks. If ya manage in the next five minutes, ya get all copies for FREE. You hear that, wait what? Are you writers smoking something? CUT!

Being more serious, see gparted documentation (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php) for more information on how to manipulate partitions. I'd advise you to take freespace from a partition and just merge it into your existing one, painless. Please, as always, I caution that even though most partition edits go fine without error, backup data just in case, especially stuff you would die without. Read the how to guides going down, if you've any questions after just reply. Gparted is available on the livecd btw, see System Menu > Admin > Partition editor.

You might also want to think of making a separate /home partition. See here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome) for reasons and how. Especially if your planning an extended stay.

Remember.... you've only 4 minutes left, call now!

raymondh
August 21st, 2009, 11:24 PM
No need to reinstall friend. Not when.........*unveils* gparted is around. *don's TV salesman voice* This software does it all, it moves, makes and deletes, even resizes partitions. You want a new partition table, bam! You want to format a partition. Two clicks and your done. It's the greatest, call now for our special 20 for 1 price of 5 bucks. If ya manage in the next five minutes, ya get all copies for FREE. You hear that, wait what? Are you writers smoking something? CUT!
Especially if your planning an extended stay.

Remember.... you've only 4 minutes left, call now!

LOL.

@ starcraft.man ... you've been watching the shopping network/channel too long, too much :)

starcraft.man
August 22nd, 2009, 01:10 AM
LOL.

@ starcraft.man ... you've been watching the shopping network/channel too long, too much :)

Not just tv!

Well, sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio... and in magazines... and movies, and at ballgames, and on buses, and milk cartons, and T-shirts, and bananas, and written in the sky. But not in dreams, no sirree.

Maybe I watch Futurama too...

WHAT? Blasphemy, never enough Futurama! NEVER!

sambit
August 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM
thanks..... going to try out ur suggestion :D

sambit
August 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
i am new to ubuntu and all the resizing stuff looks strange to me.
Can u give some more links to gpart OR tell me how to install a fresh copy of ubuntu..
i could erase the partions from xp but there will be boot problems.

sambit
August 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I want to extend my current root partition size to +4GB. i cant seem to do that with gpart... help plz

Bartender
August 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
sambit -
More details please. Do you mean you're booting from your Ubuntu LiveCD, then from the desktop you go into Administration>Partition Editor?

Do you have any details as to what it's not doing? Error messages, etc.?

I sound like a broken record, but the GParted LiveCD works so much better.

raymondh
August 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I want to extend my current root partition size to +4GB. i cant seem to do that with gpart... help plz

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/resizing.htm

Remember that when using gparted from the liveCD, ensure that the partitions are indeed unmounted (rt. clk, on partition and if given option to unmount, do so). Also, select swapoff for swap (if available)

sambit
August 31st, 2009, 10:43 PM
sorry was busy so didnt reply earlier...used gparted but there was no option of resizing...
dont know what a live CD is so i formated ubuntu and resized during formating..no probs dual boot runs.... fine thanks to everyone who helped me out

sambit
August 31st, 2009, 10:44 PM
Not just tv!

Well, sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio... and in magazines... and movies, and at ballgames, and on buses, and milk cartons, and T-shirts, and bananas, and written in the sky. But not in dreams, no sirree.

Maybe I watch Futurama too...

WHAT? Blasphemy, never enough Futurama! NEVER!
lol & Thanx a ton