PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Touchpad Settings in Mouse Preferences

cookm75
August 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have a Compaq Eco N620C. When i first installed Ubuntu (8.04) I had no issues with the Touchpad settings, the Tab was present under Mouse Preferences and was able to turn off the tap pad to click option and turn on vertical scrolling.

Sometime after I upgraded to 9.04 i started having occasions when i booted up where the 'tap to click' was operational and vertical scrolling wasn't. When I opened the mouse preferences the Tab for 'Touchpad' settings was missing.

Since I reinstalled ubuntu it is now permanently missing.

Tried so far:
1. I have checked the touchpad is enabled in gconf-editor
2. Have installed gsynaptics touch pad preferences and followed the steps in the Ubuntu Community Documentation to enable SHMConfig. But every time i try to open the gsynaptics preferences i get the error message
"GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics"

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Im no expert in ubuntu so will assume im 6yrs old when explaining :P

Until recently my laptop was dual boot with windows XP. During all this time, the touchpad has always performed without issues in XP, so I have no reason to suspect the touchpad itself is faulty.