PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] software uninstall

wirate
August 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
When I install a package from the repos for the first time, it does some downloading. I remove the package, reinstall it and this time it doesn't download anything. This means that the installation files were never removed. Why?

iEthan
August 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
That's because Ubuntu archives installation files. Don't ask me why. Get rid of them with the following bash command:

sudo apt-get purge [program name]

Penguin Guy
August 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM
That's because Ubuntu archives installation files. Don't ask me why. Get rid of them with the following bash command:

sudo apt-get purge [program name]
It's because sometimes there might be an error with a program which causes it to stop working (as I assume is the case with the original poster). In this case the user can uninstall and reinstall the package without access to the internet. So if you don't think you'll ever want a package again (or you don't mind re-downloading it from the internet) use sudo apt-get purge as iEthan suggested.

xPr0star
August 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Also you should try to run autoremove. Lets say im uninstalling esperanza we would do

sudo apt-get purge esperanza
sudo apt-get autoremove esperanza

Ubuntu will also leave traces in the /usr/share/app-install folder as well as /usr/share/

ajgreeny
August 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
sudo apt-get clean will also remove all packages from the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) and clean up a lot of space, if you are short of it.

sudo apt-get autocleanwill remove all un-needed packages.

Have a look at http://www.ubuntugeek.com/cleaning-up-all-unnecessary-junk-files-in-ubuntu.html for more details of all available ways od dealing with this.