PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with booting from an external usb DVD rom drive

HAMPATH
August 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Very new here, very first day as a matter of fact.
I have been trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a new and empty internal hdd. I have a DVD rom drive thats internally mounted, but its rather old and sometimes have trouble reading datas and as a solution to this I got an external usb DVD drive/writer. to enable boot from there with the live cd inside the external DVDROM, I changed the BIOS settings to usb-cdrom. but its continually failing to boot from the external DVD rom, it seems BIOS is not accepting it as a boot device. BIOs can still boot from the internal DVD drive but as I said it usually has problem reading data, and is continually failing to boot from the live cd properly, the Ubuntu menu for live cd comes in but fails to boot. i have tried so far 10 cds with a verified .iso image burned at different speeds. but meeting no luck I have come to the conclusion its the internal DVD drive thats at fault, it has previous records of not being able to read data properly from other dvds or cds, on windows.
as for the external dvd rom, its functional inside the same machine on a different hard disk with windows installed on it, but regardless of which hard disk is mounted, i havent been able to boot from it, even after changing the BIOS setting for boot device to usb-cdrom. some help on how to enable this would be greatly appreciated.
i have alreday tried booting from a usb flash drive with the techniques prescribed for booting ubuntu live cd from a flash drive in www.pendrivelinux.com. I changed the BIOS to usb-zip to enable boot from the flash drive, with no luck. just like in the case of the dvd external drive, the usb device is not recognized as a boot device.
I have invested an excruciating amount of time and effort on this project, cause I really need to be able to run SAGE and the gcc compiler from Linux for any kind of practice for my engineering studies starting this september. the new internal hard drive mentioned earlier has a 17 day return policy, and there are 14 days left on it. I would really appreciate anyone catering to this question soon enough so that i can return the hard disk if i really have to abandon the ubuntu project.
thank you.

ganesh_thevar
September 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
I am facing similar issue with Ubuntu 10.10 as the system is not detecting the USB CD/DVD ROM. I noticed that you had posted the thread in August 2009. Though there are no replies to your thread I was just curious to know if you have overcome the problem. In case you have, is it possible to share the same in this thread.

nothingspecial
September 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
I am facing similar issue with Ubuntu 10.10 as the system is not detecting the USB CD/DVD ROM. I noticed that you had posted the thread in August 2009. Though there are no replies to your thread I was just curious to know if you have overcome the problem. In case you have, is it possible to share the same in this thread.

Hi ganesh_thevar,

Please create your own thread about your issue rather than digging up an old one.

Closed.