PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no virtual terminal ; shutdown doesnt work ; on 64Bit Jaunty

vikofle
August 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Hi all

I ve been following several threads here for months but none of them seem to be describimg exactly my problems - so I here go :

I run Ubuntu 9.04 64 Bit Desktop on AMD Athlon 64 X 2 with 2 G Ram and I have *2* Monitors connected to a NVIDIA 7300GT.
The system is setup with *TwinView* having used nvidia-settings. The driver is the latest nvidia (180).

The problem actually presents itself with 2 symptons
1.) I cannot access the virtual terminals CTRL+ALT+F1-6, by which I mean that I dont see anything there - however the vt's work. I can log in blindly an type 'ls -l > /tmp/test' switch back to vt7/X and access that file from there. I can switch between vts and X a small number of times before it wont let me do that again (cant get back to X)

2.) Shutting down or restarting doesn't work. Opening a gnome-terminal and running sudo shutdown -h now (or clicking the turn off button) quits X but freezes the system shortly afterwards and I am left no option but to turn off the pc the hard way. That is if I start the computer, log in to Gnome, and klick to turn off the pc before actually working (doing stuff for some time) then it does work.

I was able to determine that this problem occurs no matter which driver version I use (offered and tested: nvidia 180, 173,96). Furthermore, when disabling one monitor in nvidia settings it works (from next time onwards). Also when using seperate X with xinerama (then without compositing) it works.

I've tried several way all suggested in this forum. I ve disabled framebuffers, turned them on, installed fbset, loaded nvidiafb, etc.
none worked. I have even exchanged the card with a nvidia 7300 GS. nope.

I ve spent weeks on this problem before deciding to work with only one monitor for now.

Yet, I would love to have my second screen back. Any body has any new updates on this problem?

vikofle

techstop
August 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM
How about that? I am struggling with exactly the same thing.

Dell XPS M1210
64-bit Jaunty

Trying to attach an external monitor, no luck at all. TTYs are not working.

No answers here I'm afraid, but subscribing...

pstracha
September 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Hi Guys,

I had similar problems but got things working (including my virtual terminals) by installing the latest nvidia drivers.

Here's what I did:

1. Visit nvidia.com (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) to download the latest driver (v.185)
2. Fall back to the open source driver "nv" so you can access a terminal
3. Stop X with

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
4. Prep nvidia driver for execution

chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run
5. Start installation of driver

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run

As the installation progressed I let it build a kernal module for me and let it set my xorg.conf settings. After it was installed I restarted the computer and all was well :D

Hope this works for you, one caveat - while I'm on an AMD64 machine I have installed the 32 bit version of Ubuntu (because I can't stand how slow FLASH is on 64 bit). But the symptoms you describe were similar with the 32bit OS, I'm thinking the new nvidia drivers should help you too.

PS: This fellow's post helped me with the above http://buranen.info/?p=339

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Paul