PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitors

mercules2178
August 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
My background spans across both monitors, is it possible to set it up so that it does not span across?

pawhtiobo
August 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hi,

Just enable the mirror screens option in the display preferences, that way it will show the same thing in both monitors, is that what you want? :), if not please specify...:)

see ya....

mercules2178
August 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I do not want a mirrored desktop, I like the expanded desktop for the room. I just don't want the background to span across both!

bostonaholic
August 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I do not want a mirrored desktop, I like the expanded desktop for the room. I just don't want the background to span across both!

This is not yet possible with gnome. I just read a thread about it I think yesterday. I'll look it up and post the link if I can find it.

mercules2178
August 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks, one of those things where windows can and ubu can't! Sucks, still sticking with ubu!

bostonaholic
August 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
As I promised

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1243553

matthewbpt
August 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
If you know the "Virtual Desktop size," that is the resolution of both monitors combined into one desktop, then you can make a dualscreen desktop background, where basically half of the picture will be the background you want on one screen and the other half the background you want on the other screen. When the background stretches itself across both monitors each monitor will appear to have a different picture.

mercules2178
August 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I thought about it but that is a lot of work for something that is not that important, my logo just happens to be split in the middle. I think what I will do for now is just gimp it to fit the main monitor until the solution has been implemented in the "os"!

markbuntu
August 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
You could run two separate x sessions, one on each monitor and connect them together with xinerama but that can be very tricky to do and depends a lot on your hardware and what driver you are using.