PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting via a external DVD/CD Burner???????

Plumtreed
August 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
My new external DVD/CD burner does the main things it is supposed to do. I can use it to read & burn DVD/CDs in Ubuntu but things get flaky when i try to boot!

It didn't seem to boot at all but eventually I worked out that all my old,"professionally made", Ubuntu ISO's worked as did Mandrake's and all those others lying in my drawer. The disks I burnt to trial other ISO's failed to boot at all. To make a long story shorter, I can boot these other disks only after exiting an Ubuntu session in a restart then re-booting to the other ISO.

Is this a software shortfall and is there a Linux fix available. The included software is for Windows and is named Nero.

Redptc
August 21st, 2009, 06:01 AM
My guess is that you have a 'boot' problem rather than a problem with your external burner.

As I understand it you are able to boot from 'live' cd's via the 'boot to first hard disk' choice.

If you go into your bios and move the usb burner to the top of the list you will probably find that your CD/DVD's will boot.

Try that and tell us the reult.

Plumtreed
August 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Actually, I have found that it is necessary to, first of all, boot into Ubuntu. Step two involves restarting so that the second OS boots through the external DVD reader/writer.It will then boot up the next disk or iso!