PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help with my sony laptop please

simransingh
August 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hi,
I would just like to say...today is my very first day using Xubuntu (got fed up of xp)...I have been playing around with it and have a general understanding of some of the applications/package managers etc...but i am still a complete nooob :S

I have a relatively old sony laptop (PCG-TR5MP), xubuntu seems to be running fine, but the brightness is stuck on full and the function keys dont work for brightness or volume ...I have read some tutorials on downloaded latest kernal? and spicctrl etc...but again guys...im quite clueless. Dont get me wrong, im a quick learner...i just need a bit of spoon feeding to get me going.

I came across this
http://www.linux.it/~malattia/wiki/index.php/Sony_drivers

but have no idea on how to implement it to get it working ...(if sum1 could breifly give me a quick step by step direction) ...i dnt even no how to update the kernal or whatever lol - windows was much simpler to use :D

Thanks a lot in advance...I hope to learn a lot from u guys

Sim

coldReactive
August 20th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Linux kernel is updated automatically through the update manager of xubuntu (named linux-image and linux-headers). No need to worry about it.

simransingh
August 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Linux kernel is updated automatically through the update manager of xubuntu (named linux-image and linux-headers). No need to worry about it.

ahh thanks. any ideas on how to install those drivers (on the link) ...if it will help my case?