PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire One BIOS Update

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook with Ubuntu netbook remix as the OS

The problem I have is that my battery will not charge, Acers response to this is that I need a BIOS update which rectifies this problem

The problem I have is that the BIOS updates that are available only seem to be for windows os

My Acer Aspire One originally had linpus as its OS

I am not sure how to proceed from here, I need a BIOS update but I can not find any for linux/ubuntu on the Acer website.

Any help or guidance will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Keith

coldReactive
August 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
You'll have to install windows onto your aspire one to do a BIOS update. It is extremely unrecommended for you to use WINE to perform a BIOS Update.

Honestly, I can't see why computer companies dropped support for flashing a new BIOS from a floppy disk.

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 05:05 AM
With the Aspire One, there is no floppy at all; you'd have to use a USB floppy drive to flash the BIOS. The drive would probably cost at least twice what the netbook did. That said, USB thumb drive support would be a nice addition.

There might be a workaround to this problem, though: Discharge the battery completely, if you haven't, Keith. Run it flat into the ground. I mean every time the system goes into suspend, hit the power button again to force every last erg of juice out of the battery until nothing happens at all. Then try charging it again.

I don't think there's a LiveCD of Windows XP out there, so using that to flash your BIOS may not be possible either.

I have an Aspire One myself, FWIW, but this issue hasn't come up for me … yet.

coldReactive
August 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM
The drive would probably cost at least twice what the netbook did.

Netbooks are a little over 200 USD around here (alone, I don't like getting them with network plans). You can't expect a USB floppy drive to get even over 20 USD (I paid 15 USD for mine.)

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 05:20 AM
The battery is as flat as a pancake

It just will not charge

Acer issued a BIOS upgrade that supposedly address this problem, the only problem is that it is in windows format only.

And that is a real PITA, they supply this netbook with a Linux OS as well so why do they only provide a windows based BIOS update?

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Netbooks are a little over 200 USD around here (alone, I don't like getting them with network plans). You can't expect a USB floppy drive to get even over 20 USD (I paid 15 USD for mine.)

Wow, you got a bargain on the drive, but not on the netbook. Still, good to know.

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 05:32 AM
<snip>
That was a reply to my suggestion about forcing the battery to discharge totally.

Keith, I just Googled this page (http://4zzblawg.wordpress.com/2008/11/02/aspire-one-how-to-flash-bios/) that seems to talk about your very problem and seems to present a fix, albeit a sort of bass-ackward workaround kind of fix. But it seems to be targeted specifically at Linux users.

Hope this helps; do let us know.

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Oh yeah. The term I Googled was "acer aspire one bios update linux". The URL I posted was the second hit.

I'm not trying to be an *** here; just posting this because it really is amazing how Google can do things the right way so often. Which almost makes up for all the times it gets it dead wrong.

bapoumba
August 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Two posts removed. Please keep it civil, thanks.

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 06:12 AM
<snip>
That was a reply to my suggestion about forcing the battery to discharge totally.

Keith, I just Googled this page (http://4zzblawg.wordpress.com/2008/11/02/aspire-one-how-to-flash-bios/) that seems to talk about your very problem and seems to present a fix, albeit a sort of bass-ackward workaround kind of fix. But it seems to be targeted specifically at Linux users.

Hope this helps; do let us know.

Didn't work :(

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Didn't work :(

Aw heck. What did/did not happen?

kixome
August 20th, 2009, 06:21 AM
had the same problem, disconnected andreconected the battery and it began charging

kixome
August 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM
there is an xp live cd, though I don't know if it loads all dlls and such, dont know if it would work but I do have it (its called super pe) if you need a copy then msg me

Aearenda
August 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM
The Linux BIOS upgrade method shown here (http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html) has always worked for me.

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 06:56 AM
The Linux BIOS upgrade method shown here (http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html) has always worked for me.

Huh, that seems a lot like the other one I found, though a bit less slangy and from-the-hip. Nice.

Keith, any luck with this other method?

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Yup that did the trick, have flashed my BIOS

But.....

Despite what Acer said it has not fixed my problem, the battery still wont charge :(

Well I guess it means another call to Acer

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Just want to say thanks to everyone for there help, it is very much appreciated.

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Despite what Acer said it has not fixed my problem, the battery still wont charge :(

Ah. Flat battery. I did wonder about that. The idea that a computer's BIOS might somehow affect how the LiIon batteries worked seemed a little off. Along the lines of, "Oh, your car's tires are flat? Well, check to see if there's gas in the tank…"

Oh well, at least if you actually do need to upgrade the BIOS someday, you know how. Thanks for the pointer, Aearenda. I'm sure I'll need it too eventually. In fact maybe I should make a FreeDOS boot image now and avoid the rush…

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Yes I did wonder about that myself.

They say there was some problem with a BOOS setting that was stopping the battery from charging up and the update was supposed to fix this.

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Update......

Just checked my netbook and it has worked!

The battery is now charging!

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
A'ight, that is officially spooky. Still, excellent news.

Keith Wapshott
August 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
A'ight, that is officially spooky. Still, excellent news.

Yup!

I am now a very happy chappy :)

sepharoth213
February 1st, 2010, 03:22 AM
I came across this looking for some fix for the unsupported bios crap, I just have to say that the Aspire One has an emergency bios recovery thing,
http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html
if you have this kind anyway. I've had to use this twice now, Windows broke my bios a couple times (but only during dual boot with Ubuntu...hmmm).

Thaddeus Morgan
March 6th, 2010, 01:49 AM
First thing I did with my new Acer Aspire One AO532H was to wipe the drive and install UNR 9.10. It feels good never to accept a EULA. In order to upgrade the BIOS from 1.02 to 1.18, I did the following:

Download BIOS update files from Acer website.
Make note of the contents of the batch file used to update the BIOS.
Download the latest version of FreeDOS.
Install unetbookin (sudo aptitude install unetbookin).
Use unetbookin to create a USB start up disk for FreeDOS.
Copy the BIOS update files onto the USB start up disk.
Boot the AO532H from the USB disk.
Run the command found in the batch BIOS update file, modified to use absolute paths instead of relative paths.

This update procedure left my UNR 9.10 installation intact and successfully updated the BIOS using only free software.

Vagabond112
November 21st, 2011, 11:32 PM
I've just updated my Acer notebook (Ubuntu 11.10, AMDx64) bios using unetbootin freedos bootable flash drive, prepared in advance (Kingston traveler, 2GB fat32 filesystem).

There are no instructions on Acer's website on bios updating in Linux OS for my notebook model, and Linux is not officially supported on my model. The update bios archive has only DOS, WIN32 and WIN64 stuff.

After making bootable pen drive, I manually copied the necessary files from the update bios archive. Only bios.bat and contents of DOS folder containing an image and firmware utility were copied to pen drive root.

After test boot, I dir a:\ and dir b:\ in order to check whether freedos system could see anything on my pendrive. It sees its own files at a:\ and the copied bios.batch and update bios files at b:\.

I just needed then to edit the bios.batch file manually, as suggested by Thaddeus Morgan, indicating the absolute paths to the utility and image files, adding "b:\" to dos commands contained in the batch file. Thus, the freedos system will know where to take the utility programs and where to take the new bios image.

This exercise reminded me cool old days, before mices and GUIs appearance...

Be very careful before taking a decision to update bios on you own risk using non standard methods. You should absolutely understand what you're doing and what are possible consequences...