PDA

View Full Version : Are laptop ever going to get faster? I need an excuse to upgrade!

edwardtilbury
August 20th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I've had this laptop for over 2 years, it works great...

but I would love to have a laptop similar to my desktop.. 8 gigs ram etc.. blah blah.

I'd love to run a virtualbox in seemless mode , give it 2 gigs of ram, and not care about memory.

So I've seen some beasts from Alienware , but as far as the mainsteam laptops from HP etc.. they look the same as my old laptop, and the specs and video cards are still the same.. I was checking out the specs of the average HP laptop and they are little better / a little worse than what I have now, which is surprising since my laptop is over 2 years old.

So they had the core2.. then the core 2 duo, which is up to "30%" faster... but what else?

Still no SSD
Average HD is like 260 gig..
Still same 256 meg nvidia cards.. (I wont dabble with the ATI on linux)
Still just Core 2 duo..

Is there some new technology coming out for laptops soon?

Sporkman
August 20th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Quit yer complaining!

Be glad you're not stuck with this:

http://sporkforge.com/laptop.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Think-Pad-Laptop-computer-600E-300Mhz-6GB-HDD_W0QQitemZ270442149832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_com p_laptop?hash=item3ef79bb7c8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

CJ Master
August 20th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Quit yer complaining!

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Think-Pad-Laptop-computer-600E-300Mhz-6GB-HDD_W0QQitemZ270442149832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_com p_laptop?hash=item3ef79bb7c8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Not being sarcastic, that looks nice. I'd pay the 12-so dollars for it if I trusted EBay.

cmay
August 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Not being sarcastic, that looks nice. I'd pay the 12-so dollars for it if I trusted EBay.
Me too. i would run minix and Freedos on it dualbooting. but i wont ever shop online. i dont trust it. i been looking for something as old as this for laptop. its hard to come by actually .

bodhi.zazen
August 20th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Hardware is always getting smaller and faster.

Spencer Caplan
August 20th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Yes, hardware will inevitably get smaller and more powerful.

toupeiro
August 20th, 2009, 04:12 AM
just upgrade. Don't wait for technology to leap and hit some point of stasis. The next big leap for laptops will be obsolete 3-6 months after it happens.

doorknob60
August 20th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Quit yer complaining!

Better than mine. Mine has a 4.5 GB hard drive, a AMD K6 400 mhz (CPU might be better, dunno), 192 MB of RAM, and the part that makes it for sure worse, a broken CD drive :D It broke like a week after I got it, but I had enough time to set up a Debian Lenny/Windows 98 SE dual boot on it. Also I have a PCMCIA card to get wifi, so it's actually usable. Windows 98 stopped working with wifi randomly though, so now it's even more useless. Had it there for DOS games and stuff :D The broken CD drive limits me from messing with other distros and stuff. Also, the trackpad and keyboard don't always work when it's running off the battery, so you need to keep it plugged in. Also the 800x600 screen can get cramped. Lol did I go off topic or what? Oh well this is the cafe :lolflag:

edwardtilbury
August 20th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I upgraded the HD to 500gig , $89 at fry's :P
Also the memory to 4gigs... but this computer can only use 3 of them.. Some limit on the computer hardware, not ubuntu 9.04's fault..

So now I have a 2 ghz dual core , 500gb hd , 3gb ram.. nvidia card laptop.. it's pretty good, but I just thought that there'd be quad cores in the mainstream by now.

PurposeOfReason
August 20th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Quit yer complaining!

That just sold for less than the shipping. That's how you know you got a good deal.

CJ Master
August 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM
They could've at least dusted it off for the picture...

Regenweald
August 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Quit yer complaining!

I used to do payroll support and training on a Thinkpad 380D very similar to this, think it had a 4 gig hd and 256 ram. Used to lug around a 30 pound 3M projector when i had training sessions. In an old mazda 626 with no AC.

Good Times.

mamamia88
August 20th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I used to do payroll support and training on a Thinkpad 380D very similar to this, think it had a 4 gig hd and 256 ram. Used to lug around a 30 pound 3M projector when i had training sessions. In an old mazda 626 with no AC.

Good Times.

geeze wish i would have know about that i could have installed puppy or something on it

Regenweald
August 20th, 2009, 05:58 AM
geeze wish i would have know about that i could have installed puppy or something on it

So flippin true! but it was the year 2000 and crunchbang, puppy and Co. did not yet exist :) and all i knew of linux was that one of our more 'gifted' IT guys was using red hat three point something for the company print server.
I used to reinstall win2000 and VisualDataFlex on that thing almost every week. Then the support department got Toshiba tecras. God bless those little workhorses.....

drumsticks
August 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM
So I've seen some beasts from Alienware , but as far as the mainsteam laptops from HP etc.. they look the same as my old laptop, and the specs and video cards are still the same.. I was checking out the specs of the average HP laptop and they are little better / a little worse than what I have now, which is surprising since my laptop is over 2 years old.

I understand your predicament. I want to upgrade mainly so I can get a 1920x1200 screen on a 15in monitor. I'm currently using 1680x1050 (15in also) but want more, so I can have nicer fonts with less hinting - I'd take higher pixel density than larger screen size any day. But as per your observation, none of the other components seem to show any appreciable improvement over what I currently have!

edwardtilbury
August 31st, 2009, 06:22 AM
I just checked the frys website, looks like HP and Asus have some awesome Quad Core laptops now. I wonder if there's a linux app for the HP remote control...

Anyways, I was really surprised to see the HP laptop with QUAD core CPU and 6 gigs of ram for $1299 HP Pavilion dv7-2180us

And I saw a Dual screen laptop on drudgereport today... So maybe things will start changing soon and at reasonable prices..

jrusso2
August 31st, 2009, 06:27 AM
There is actually a big market for used thinkpad parts. It would be worth many times what he paid if he parted it out.

50words
August 31st, 2009, 06:30 AM
On size--how much smaller can laptops get? They can get a bit thinner, but the screen size will always be a limiting factor. Weight could go down a bit, as well, but once again, if you want a sturdy laptop, it will not lose much weight.

You can now get enormous hard drives, and my ThinkPad T400 chipset will hold 8 or 16 GB of RAM. I forget which, but either, with a 64-bit OS, ought to be enough for you.

Maybe you ought to consider a Macbook. I don't think you can get much smaller for a full-on computer.

Warpnow
August 31st, 2009, 06:52 AM
The problem which only lets you use 3gbs of Ram probably comes from using a 32 bit OS instead of a 64 bit one.

bodhi.zazen
August 31st, 2009, 03:39 PM
The problem which only lets you use 3gbs of Ram probably comes from using a 32 bit OS instead of a 64 bit one.

That is not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

The Ubuntu server kernel ships with PAE enables, you can compile your own for the Desktop edition if you do not wish to use the server kernel, and Fedora has an option for a PAE kernel.

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM
That is not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

The Ubuntu server kernel ships with PAE enables, you can compile your own for the Desktop edition if you do not wish to use the server kernel, and Fedora has an option for a PAE kernel.

Umm...it is true for him, that his situation is most likely stemmed from the decision to install the 32 bit version. While it might be possible to get more RAM in 32 bit, compiling your own kernel, and then maintaining the differences, is not a task your average user wants to or knows how to do, and using the server kernel is a bad idea, as it is for servers, and using it results in problems with various things (I tried to use it a few months back).

So, yeah what I said is true. If he wants to utiltize all of his memory, then he should use the 64 bit version. It is better anyway, now that support for 64 bit is widespread.

I was trying to be helpful...you, however, seem to prefer being rude.

bodhi.zazen
September 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
It is not rude to correct mis-information and the information you gave is simply wrong. Furthermore there is no need for you to be rude or act is such a bullying manor to those who correct your mis-information. Please do not post incomplete or inaccurate information on these forums and please inform people of their choices and allow them to decide what is best for them.

I am sorry the server kernel did not work for you and that you do not wish to compile your won kernel, but please do not presume you know what is best for others.

It is up to the OP to decide what he or she decides to do with the information and there are several viable options.

Some people do in fact prefer to compile their own kernel. And not everyone wishes to install the latest greatest kernel. There are times when I put the kernel package on hold.

Some people do use the server kernel.

Some people use Fedora which does in fact have a PAE enabled kernel.

The first step, IMO, is to provide accurate information.

MikeTheC
September 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
My laptop got appreciably and beneficially faster when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Of course, it started out as a reasonably fast laptop, so...

A friend of mine has a 3.1GHz MBP and he is happy as a clam with it.

The point of this is not to push a particular platform, but to suggest you need to look harder and you'll find plenty of justification to open your screaming wallet. :P

carlosgs91
September 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Warpnow
September 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM
It is not rude to correct mis-information and the information you gave is simply wrong. Furthermore there is no need for you to be rude or act is such a bullying manor to those who correct your mis-information. Please do not post incomplete or inaccurate information on these forums and please inform people of their choices and allow them to decide what is best for them.

I am sorry the server kernel did not work for you and that you do not wish to compile your won kernel, but please do not presume you know what is best for others.

It is up to the OP to decide what he or she decides to do with the information and there are several viable options.

Some people do in fact prefer to compile their own kernel. And not everyone wishes to install the latest greatest kernel. There are times when I put the kernel package on hold.

Some people do use the server kernel.

Some people use Fedora which does in fact have a PAE enabled kernel.

The first step, IMO, is to provide accurate information.

My information is -still- not wrong. No way you put it. Installing 64 bit will solve the problem. End of story. No ifs, ands or buts. I'm not wrong for saying the sky is blue because sometimes cars are blue, too. Its not misinformation. Its the far more useful information.