PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can I run an AMD K6 CPU w/o a CPU fan?

adrian-g
August 20th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I use this computer as a server and the CPU fan started acting up.

I was wondering if I could just run the clunker without the fan (I doubt it affects the temps too much, it is only 50x50x10mm and draws 0.04a).

Whiffle
August 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Yeah I think you probably can. Make sure you have a heat sink on it though. I ran a K6-2 450Mhz for quite a while without a fan. Only problems I had were if it was really doing alot of work, like installing ubuntu, and even then it would just shut itself off.

Actually, come to think of it, it is running without a fan right now, I mutilated the entire laptop and put it into an aluminum case which acts as the heat sink. Its at 129 days of uptime right now, and the last reboot was a power failure :-P

adrian-g
August 20th, 2009, 01:55 AM
The CPU does have a heatsink, but I think it's just a stock one. Even then I'm able to touch it without burning myself. The processor clocks at 400mhz.

It's never doing a whole lot of work. In fact, the most it does is make a backup of my blog's directory daily (less than 100mb at that).

Oh yeah, impressive uptime! I only got to around 8 days :rolleyes:

Marlonsm
August 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM
The CPU does have a heatsink, but I think it's just a stock one. Even then I'm able to touch it without burning myself.

Something gets too hot to get touched at around 80C, depending on the person. So if you can touch it, it's not dangerously hot.

But it's always good the have cooling, even it's passive (fanless), it is, just a heatsink.

Exodist
October 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I had a K62-400, nice CPU. You may not need a fan if the Heatsink is large enough and you have good passive airflow. If the Heatsink is at least 1.5 to 2 inches tall your good without a fan. But if its shorter then 1.5 inches it may burn up.