PDA

View Full Version : the best python tutorial book ever (imo)

bodyharvester
August 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
its called "Invent Your Own Computer Games With Python" and really does do that, it even gives you the source code to create a small 2-d game with sprites and sounds then walks you through each line of code. its how i began learning python. step by step, it teaches you so much, http://pythonbook.coffeeghost.net/

Al told me in an e-mail he's having his book published, and even has plans to write one on cryptography, and further stuff on python

how did you guys 'n' gals learn? im looking for a tutorial into C thats as good as Al's book for python but havent found one yet

Copernicus1234
August 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
It seems interesting. Ive always liked to learn by doing, and that is what they do in this book it seems, for a bit larger projects. I will look through it. :)

My first Python book was Learning Python, but I could program in other languages before so it was not difficult to pick up Python. It probably has the easiest and most intuitive syntax of them all.

Edit: I glanced through the book and I wished it had more Pygame stuff in it. Its more fun to do something with real graphics than in a terminal. But its a good starting point I guess.

bodyharvester
August 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
im pretty sure in that e-mail he sent me that he said his next books will also be free to download :)

lykwydchykyn
August 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I just started my son on that book a week or so ago; he's been pretty excited about what he's learning. Seems like a good one so far.

subdivision
August 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Nice link, thanks. :)

blur xc
August 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Awesome- I've been curious to learn Python.

Thanks for posting
BM

bodyharvester
August 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Edit: I glanced through the book and I wished it had more Pygame stuff in it. Its more fun to do something with real graphics than in a terminal. But its a good starting point I guess.

the last three or so chapters do involve pygame, but he is thinking of going into an old RPG style game or a Zelda style game for his next book, so that will be more in python