PDA

View Full Version : Could you survive a day without the terminal?

dragos240
August 19th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Me? No, no way. I need the terminal, for almost everything.

aysiu
August 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Yes. In fact, what do I need the terminal for?

Tristam Green
August 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
In Windows at work? Not a chance in Hell. I use dsquery/dsget and batch scripting all day long at work.

In Linux or Windows at home? Yes, easily.

K.Y.A
August 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe a day. . .

If I skipped updating and backing up my Debian 4.0 server by ssh for a day, perhaps.

The terminal is the reason I don't use Windows, mainly.

dragos240
August 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM

Well.... many tools that do not have a GUI frontend to them, and vi. Vi rocks.:popcorn:

Shibblet
August 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Amen brother! We hates the terminal, and the Baggins'!

LookTJ
August 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Not a chance, most of what I do, is by the terminal. The only things I do in GUI daily is Firefox and Pidgin :)

Bachstelze
August 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Oh yes, of course. And you know what? Humans can survive without a computer, too!

Tamalin
August 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I don't think so, unless I just browsed the forums all day in firefox. Otherwise, my terminal is one of my most important tools. Usually my terminal is filled with lots of

javac Main.java
java Main

and, I have also learned that to prefer my terminal over synaptic for managing packages.

sydbat
August 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Oh yes, of course. And you know what? Humans can survive without a computer, too!WHAT!?! Say it isn't so!!

slakkie
August 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
No, I can't irc without a terminal.. Well I can, but then I would have to use inferior software.. And package managment via a GUI is something I never do.

I could use gvim, and I would not know how to start vpnc via a GUI alone..

And I could not connect to remote machines over ssh, unless I need to use some kind of ssh java applet.. But then I would have a terminal at my disposal...

No, I couldn't, not ever.

lukjad007
August 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
As long as I don't need to use the computer... sure! ;)

Otherwise, no.

aysiu
August 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Amen brother! We hates the terminal, and the Baggins'! I don't hate the terminal, but then neither do I hate hobbits. I just don't need the terminal for anything I do.

Well.... many tools that do not have a GUI frontend to them, and vi. Vi rocks.:popcorn: I don't need any of those tools. And if I use a text editor, it's usually Gedit. If it's a terminal one, it'll be Nano (sorry, Vi).

RATM_Owns
August 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I need the terminal. :P

Most of what I do, I do in the terminal.

Shibblet
August 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I don't hate the terminal, but then neither do I hate hobbits. I just don't need the terminal for anything I do.

I was using the Smeagol "We". I don't hate the Terminal, I just choose to not use it.

Shibblet
August 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I need the terminal. :P

Most of what I do, I do in the terminal.

The Cheat uses a Mac! :)

lukjad007
August 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/622/avatar6320192.png

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7127/avatar219411.png

Opposite sides of the same coin? News at 11.

dragos240
August 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I don't hate the terminal, but then neither do I hate hobbits. I just don't need the terminal for anything I do.

I don't need any of those tools. And if I use a text editor, it's usually Gedit. If it's a terminal one, it'll be Nano (sorry, Vi).

:o :confused: I would have thought you would have used vi or vim.

sydbat
August 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Opposite sides of the same coin? News at 11.Ever notice they are never in the same room at the same time...

starcannon
August 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I can do everything through the GUI, but I'd not want to have to. The terminal gives me speed, and refinement that a GUI (as we currently know them) can not.

Survive yeah, enjoy, no.

lukjad007
August 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Ever notice they are never in the same room at the same time...
Hmmm... yeah... I always wondered about that...

blur xc
August 19th, 2009, 10:05 PM
If I'm just using the computer- then yes, I can go w/o the terminal.

If I need to administer my system- can't go w/o it. Especially since ALL the help you get starts out w/ "enter this in the command line"...

BM

K.Y.A
August 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM

I don't need any of those tools. And if I use a text editor, it's usually Gedit. If it's a terminal one, it'll be Nano (sorry, Vi).

I love nano!

(hobbits are awesome, too)

dragos240
August 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Opposite sides of the same coin? News at 11.

Lulz. Yeah, taken from the phychocats website :p. And slightly edited. And I added a pupil.

subdivision
August 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I could get along without the terminal for a while, sure.

I wouldn't want to though.

gn2
August 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I could survive for ages without it, the only thing I use it for is get_iplayer and I don't need that.

Probably won't need it till the next time I do a re-install and need to do some tweakery, that won't be till April 2011.

blithen
August 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I could yes.
Would I ever want to? Hell no.

hyperdude111
August 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I would use alt-f2

Bodsda
August 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I couldnt, as I check my emails in the morning and I am manually starting my xserver it is pretty hard... I suppose I could see if w3m or links2 can successfully show me my emails.

alexandari
August 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
um...yes...I guess...sometimes I use the terminal without noticing I`m all like "wow wait did I use the terminal today? damn..."

SuperSonic4
August 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
No, since I have konsole in Autostart :p

Plus I like to update daily and I'm too lazy to use the GUI

hessiess
August 19th, 2009, 10:48 PM
no, not on Arch.

tom66
August 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yes. But my work would be slower and Ubuntu would remain out of date.

MikeTheC
August 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM
A day? Hell, I go months without using the terminal.

Lavaeagle
August 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I tried doing this once and my monitor fell off my wall.

.Maleficus.
August 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM
No. Besides Firefox, all of my programs are terminal programs. At any one time I'm using:

ncmpcpp
rtorrent
3-4 vim sessions
midnight-commander
2-3 plain Zsh's

Plus various others that aren't used daily. And then of course there is SSHing to my server...

t0p
August 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Ooh, this is a sick thread. First it's all silken-voiced questions, "Can you do without the terminal?". Next there'll be an announcement that the terminal will be abandoned in Leprous Llama. Finally, the keyboard will be abolished and we'll all have to make do with just the mouse. I can see where this is going.

Anyway, back to the question. I'm sure I don't need the terminal, everything I think I "need" it for is no doubt doable from the GUI. But I don't want to know about that. Leave my terminal alone, you beasts!

FraggedLocust
August 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I don't know. Probably, I'm not sure why I use it now. but what happens when I have to do a dpkg -a?
By the way, how do i set up launchers for programs from terminal? using 'gnome-terminal program' only seems to bring up the terminal

Shibblet
August 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Ooh, this is a sick thread. First it's all silken-voiced questions, "Can you do without the terminal?". Next there'll be an announcement that the terminal will be abandoned in Leprous Llama. Finally, the keyboard will be abolished and we'll all have to make do with just the mouse. I can see where this is going.

Holy Crazy Person riding on a Leprous Llama! ;) J/K

Anyway, back to the question. I'm sure I don't need the terminal, everything I think I "need" it for is no doubt doable from the GUI. But I don't want to know about that. Leave my terminal alone, you beasts!

I think it's similar to Windows in that respect. The average user doesn't really "need" the command line.

Tibuda
August 20th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Yes, but only because I have created 15 Gedit external tools for some frequent GIT (http://git-scm.com/) tasks using zenity and notify-send. Before this, I always had an open terminal for these tasks. I still use the terminal for grepping (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/en/man1/grep.1.html) and sedding (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/en/man1/sed.1.html), but I can live without it.

@t0p: I don't think we should get rid of the terminal. It is so powerful.

cartman640
August 20th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I could survive a day without the terminal if that day was in the weekend. Not during the week though, I use the terminal quite a bit at work, after all it's a little bit tricky to do anything with the server without a terminal.

jonian_g
August 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I can, only when I browse the web or listen to music/watch movies. But when I do icon development, no way. I would take me 30 min to export 10 icons from svg to png through the GUI. With the terminal it takes only 3 seconds.

The average user doesn't really "need" the command line.

Who wants to be average? Everyone wants to get better day by day on everything they do.

Katalog
August 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Interesting question. Probably not. Guess I could if I really tried, and I know people who do, but I find myself having to open the terminal at 3-4 times a day to do something or other.

majamba
August 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
not a single day

itdoesnot
August 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM
dragos240 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=632019) do you use the terminal for ubuntu forums

wojox
August 20th, 2009, 01:56 AM
dragos240 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=632019) do you use the terminal for ubuntu forums

She could w3m.

I gotta get my term on at least once a day.

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 01:58 AM
She could w3m.

I gotta get my term on at least once a day.

She? He.

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 01:59 AM

I have a few times. When my X got stuck.

bodhi.zazen
August 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I use a terminal every day I use a computer. I find it more convenient for some tasks.

jwaffolter
August 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
A day? I wouldn't even make it five minutes

Jimleko211
August 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I don't have to use the terminal, no, but sometimes I prefer to 'cause it's faster and I like typing commands.

Spencer Caplan
August 20th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Ha, not using the terminal. It seems so weird and I just switched from Windows a few weeks ago.

cmay
August 20th, 2009, 02:24 AM
yes. on ubunutu but on crunch bang no. on open solaris yes . on minix no. it depends what OS i am on. i use the GUI if thats the fastest but right now i use crunch bang and i find it more easy to use the terminal a lot on open box .

on my laptop which runs standard ubuntu 9.04 i dont need to use the terminal for ohter things than compiling .

wojox
August 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
She? He.

Sorry. :P

Stan_1936
August 20th, 2009, 02:29 AM

+1. Agreed. Well said. Yes! EXACTLY! When you think about it, that's so true...

geekygirl
August 20th, 2009, 02:29 AM
No

ibutho
August 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I could, but not for work related purposes. When I use openSUSE, Mandriva or Fedora for desktop use, I don't to use the terminal because there are many GUI tools that do the job. For work related stuff and to admin my FreeBSD home server, I use ssh and prefer to just do stuff in the terminal.

samjh
August 20th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Sure, if I'm not using a computer. Even when I need to use a computer, the terminal is almost never used on Windows or Mac.

On a Linux computer? Well, I use Arch, and its package manager is a terminal program. So, yes, I'll need the terminal.

C!oud
August 20th, 2009, 03:28 AM
On my current FreeBSD setup not really, since I use a tiling wm but if I configured gnome to be a bit more mouse friendly then I probably could despite any reluctance I might have :)

running_rabbit07
August 20th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Terminal, what's that? JK. I never use it. Last time I entered "Firefox" I got all kinds of error messages. When I double click, no errors. I think all in all, I have only needed two terminal commends, one to install FF3.5 and one to stop that annoying beep at shut down.

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Sure, if I'm not using a computer. Even when I need to use a computer, the terminal is almost never used on Windows or Mac.

On a Linux computer? Well, I use Arch, and its package manager is a terminal program. So, yes, I'll need the terminal.
Well shaman is a frontend to pacman........ unfortunately.... the newest version of pacman will not work with shaman......

Gen2ly
August 20th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I could but I wouldn't be no fun, everything else is just pictures.

mrgnash
August 20th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Could I? Yes. Would I want to? Hell no. I use the terminal for almost everything as well. In fact, the only thing I don't solely use the terminal for is web browsing (I like to collect pictures of pretty women :P ).

mrgnash
August 20th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Terminal, what's that? JK. I never use it. Last time I entered "Firefox" I got all kinds of error messages. When I double click, no errors. I think all in all, I have only needed two terminal commends, one to install FF3.5 and one to stop that annoying beep at shut down.

http://www.delawareliberal.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/facepalm.jpg

MikeTheC
August 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM
ubuntu linux 11.04 to pioneer "terminal-less" user experience

toupeiro
August 20th, 2009, 04:07 AM
ubuntu linux 11.04 to pioneer "terminal-less" user experience

This will be the day I stop using ubuntu and go back to windows, which is embracing powershell more and more.

swoll1980
August 20th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Easily. The terminal has it's place, but in no way am I dependent on it.

mrgnash
August 20th, 2009, 04:13 AM
This will be the day I stop using ubuntu and go back to windows, which is embracing powershell more and more.

No matter how much it "embraces" powershell, it will still be rubbish. Windows just isn't set up in such a way to make system administration from the shell a practical option, let-alone to allow the wide range of tasks that are possible on POSIX systems.

But yeah, that would be the day I stop using Ubuntu as well. I'd probably go to FreeBSD or Arch or something instead.

JillSwift
August 20th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I could easily do without the terminal for minutes at a time.

running_rabbit07
August 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM
"facepalm"

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

running_rabbit07
August 20th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Though it may not need a terminal, I am sure it would still be there.

Greg
August 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Question: Is using M-x shell on Emacs considered cheating?

warreno
August 20th, 2009, 04:58 AM
A day? Sure.

25 hours? Well, maybe.

For day to day stuff, I don't use the terminal; but for some things admin work, getting an install often it's easier (for me) to just copy/paste a code line from a page into the terminal than it is to monkey around with Add/Remove or Synaptic.

Well, maybe not always easier, but definitely faster.

MikeTheC
August 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM
See, if I'd been an MS-DOS user, at least I could say I "upgraded" to a real user interface.

However, I've always used a Mac, so I turn my nose up at such primitive control methodologies. I mean, terminal is a bit like, oh I dunno, having to drive using a stick shift or something.

mrgnash
August 20th, 2009, 05:50 AM
See, if I'd been an MS-DOS user, at least I could say I "upgraded" to a real user interface.

However, I've always used a Mac, so I turn my nose up at such primitive control methodologies. I mean, terminal is a bit like, oh I dunno, having to drive using a stick shift or something.

No, the terminal is more like being in control of the TARDIS, rather than a car ;)

Seriously though, for most tasks, the terminal is faster and more flexible than any GUI (especially if you get into scripting); so it is hardly "primitive", it's just that the learning curve is higher than point and click.

coldReactive
August 20th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I have already survived a day without terminal, so yes.

mamamia88
August 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM
i only use the terminal to install apps and i don't need anything right now so i say yeah

Greg
August 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM
What's ironic is, using the terminal to type commands is much closer to the 'futuristic' say something and a computer does it than navigating through menus with a pointer is.

afmGM
August 20th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Nope. I need to it to compile with the GCC, and I also need it for entertainment, as I really get a kick out of watching the text go by ;)

mrgnash
August 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
What's ironic is, using the terminal to type commands is much closer to the 'futuristic' say something and a computer does it than navigating through menus with a pointer is.

That's right. Until you can say something rather abstract such as, "Computer, please adjust the brightness of all the dog pictures in my home folder by by 50%, convert them to PNG and crop them to 200px, adding a 3 pixel border and drop shadow effect, then upload them to my server...", and have it execute all the necessary steps in order to accomplish that directive, then the most expedient method is to use a CLI (and tools such as ImageMagick and SCP). Even then, I'd probably prefer typing to having to talk constantly talk to my computer :P

MikeTheC
August 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Ok, folks... here's why I don't use the terminal very much:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9104/whyidontuseaterminalmuc.gif

pmlxuser
August 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
terminal ?? what terminal ?? ;)

doorknob60
August 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hmm. Well if I was doing something that wasn't on the computer, I'd be fine, but if I was using the computer, I'd last maybe an hour before I really wanted to do something that needs the terminal :P As soon as I want to install something, upgrade something, or edit some config file, I'd be forced to open it up. I don't like GUI package managers (synaptic is okay but I still prefer the CLI for installing stuff, and that applies 100x more on Arch), and when I edit config files I just prefer to use nano, especially if they're config files with root permissions. So yeah, wouldn't make it very long :P

NCLI
August 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Oh yes, of course. And you know what? Humans can survive without a computer, too!
:lolflag:
You're funny! xD

Shibblet
August 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
To remove the Terminal, is to remove the heart of Linux.

qazwsx
August 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yes, I could use Kate to write scripts and execute them via Dolphin. It would be time consuming though.
:P

Ms_Angel_D
August 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I go lot's and lot's of days without a terminal. The only time I ever use it is mostly during a fresh install, or if I'm installing a program that doesn't exist in the repos and has no pre-compiled package.

So yes I can live without the terminal for a day.

Cheesemill
August 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Not a chance.
I run several Ubuntu servers at work, none of them have a GUI.

matmatmat
August 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM
No, use too much vim for programming

Grenage
August 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM
At work I reply on it heavily, at home I don't use it so much. It would however stop me using dtach with rtorrent, so I wouldn't be particularly thrilled.

P.S: <3 vim.

shredder12
August 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Not a chance.. I use terminal for almost everything...
It makes everything very fast...

clonne4crw
August 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I rarely start up X. I can do all my work in CLI just fine.

itdoesnot
August 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
hey bodhi.zazen (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=89054), i hear zen is lonely as f

Tristam Green
August 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
She? He.

English lacks a gender-neutral pronoun :(

RabbitWho
August 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
English lacks a gender-neutral pronoun :sad:

I usually use "they" in that case. But that can cause confusion, especially with non-native speakers.

I don't know a single terminal command.
So yeah, I guess I can live without it.. but is it really living?

bodhi.zazen
August 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
English lacks a gender-neutral pronoun :(

It does ???

SuperSonic4
August 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Well shaman is a frontend to pacman........ unfortunately.... the newest version of pacman will not work with shaman......

Eh? Shaman (1.20) is working fine with pacman 3.30. There was a time when it didn't work but the kdemod devs fixed it within around 24 hours.

I usually use "they" in that case. But that can cause confusion, especially with non-native speakers.

I don't know a single terminal command.
So yeah, I guess I can live without it.. but is it really living?

I've always used "one" - it sounds more formal too. Such as "One could cope without the terminal for one day"

RabbitWho
August 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
It does ???

ha ha ha ha. Clever.

PurposeOfReason
August 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
My only gui apps that I use on a daily basis are firefox and xpdf. I'd be doomed without a terminal emulator.

dragos240
August 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
100th post :D

Okay, so...... I got pacman w/ shaman working.... :D

Noo 2 Ubuntoo
August 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Oh yes, very easily because every time I've tried anything in terminal things just get worse. In fact I've survived for 7 months now without terminal (bearing in mind every time I used it chaos ensued). I love GUI's.

mcduck
August 20th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I have no problems surviving 24 hours without food, sleep, or a terminal.

But why would I want to? :D

(I'd probably have to stay away from Linux machines if I wanted to do that, though, since opening a terminal is pretty much a reflex when I need to do something)

koleoptero
August 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Yes, easily. I could do without computers too. Or electricity.