PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Distorted sound, video playback lagging, microphone problem

Kapli
August 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
EDIT: All of my problems were fixed when going back to 09.04. Only the problem with crackling sound remains (the first problem).

My first problem is with my sound. I have actually tried 09.04 two times, 08.10 once and now I'm in 08.04 for the second time (gfx driver issues is the reason I went from version to version). Every time I had a problem with my sound, it's not a big problem but an annoying one. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I can hear it very clearly when I go into System -> Preferences -> Sound and click on the test button. I am using a headset and it varies from my left ear to my right ear, usually it is in my left ear. The sound is distorted. crackling, noise or something, I do not know how to properly explain it but it's you know.. broken. Rebooting usually fixes the problem. But I'm kinda getting tired of rebooting every time there's a problem with my sound (I can hear it on the bootup sound).

Edit: Forgot to add the information about my hardware

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01d1
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at febfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Second problem is with video playback, currently I've tried MPlayer, VLC and the default Totem player. I watch a lot of anime so there are quite a few different extensions to deal with. It's not that bad, it's just that it was better on windows. mkv, mp4, avi, all of it plays normally it's just something with the frames that seem to be lagging or something, it's a bit difficult to explain.

Third problem is with my microhpone. There's a screeching sound in the background when I try to record. Might also add that my microhpone worked perfectly in 08.10 and in 09.04.

Also got another problem with the sound that I just noticed, if I'm listening to music and trying to view a video on youtube at the same time there won't be any sound on youtube. I looked at the comprehensive sound problem solutions guide and installed alsa-oss but I'm not sure what else to do.

Kapli
August 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Bump

Kapli
August 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Bump, only got the crackling sound problem now.