PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Convert mp3 to avi

cudjoe
August 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hi,

I need to convert a mp3 to avi because my Upnp player (freebox-tv) does not read mp3 but supports well xvid videos. I thus will transcode my music as blank videos.

With ffmpeg, the conversion is easy :

ffmpeg -i input.mp3 -vn -acodec copy -f avi output.avi
Problem : the output does not have any video stream.

I made a small blank video (attached as txt), 1 black frame.

With mencoder, I managed to have both video and audio :

mencoder black.avi -o output.avi -ovc xvid -oac copy -audiofile input.mp3
Problem : the output file is 1 frame long.

How can I specify to loop over the blank video accordingly to audio stream length ?

Thank you guyz for any ideas!

FakeOutdoorsman
August 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Create blank black image (convert is part of the imagemagick package):

convert -size 320x240 xc:black black.png
Or create black image with white text:

convert -size 320x240 xc:black -fill white -draw "gravity Center text 0,0 'The Pogues'" black.png
Combine audio and black video:

ffmpeg -loop_input -i black.png -i fairytale_of_new_york.mp3 -shortest -acodec copy output.avi
You will need to enable restricted encoders in FFmpeg to encode with mpeg4:
HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoding in FFmpeg (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1117283)

Locutus_of_Borg
August 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM
save this python script, name it script.py (or whatever you want)

import os, sys

fps = 30

if len(sys.argv) != 4:
print "Usage: makevid.py imagefile audiofile seconds"
sys.exit(1)

secs = int(sys.argv[3])
if secs < 0:
print "Please pass a positive amount of seconds"
sys.exit(1)
secs = 1 / float(secs)

filesexist = True
for each_file in sys.argv[1:2]:
if not os.path.exists(each_file):
print "%s doesn't exist" % each_file
filesexist = False
if not filesexist: sys.exit(1)

mencoder_cmd = ('mencoder "mf://%s" -mf fps=%f -vf harddup -ovc lavc'\
' -lavcopts vbitrate=100 -audiofile "%s" -oac copy -ofps %d'\
' -o output.avi') % (sys.argv[1], secs, sys.argv[2], fps)

print "Starting mencoder"
os.system(mencoder_cmd)
print "Video is complete, output written to output.avi"
open a terminal execute the script with
python script.py [imagefile] [audiofile] [length in seconds]

this will create a video of a still image that will play your audio for however many seconds you specify

cudjoe
August 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks Locutus_of_Borg.
With the information of Fakeoutdoorsman, I made this small shell script (ffmpeg instead of mencoder) :

input=$1
output=$2

background=/tmp/bng-black.jpg
convert -size 320x240 xc:black $background
duration=`ffmpeg -i $input 2>&1 | grep Duration | cut -f1 -d, | cut -f2,3,4,5 -d:`
ffmpeg -loop_input -i $background -i $input -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec copy -t $duration $output

Thank you very much for your assistance !

Kilarin
January 22nd, 2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks! I just used your shell script, replacing the background.jpg with an image I wanted to use, and converted an mp3 file into an avi! It was EASY with the script. thank you VERY much!

FakeOutdoorsman
January 22nd, 2010, 07:16 AM
I updated my first post to now use the -shortest option which will automatically finish encoding the video when the music ends. Much easier than getting the audio duration and then using that number to determine the encoding length. So now cudjoe's script can look like this:

#!/bin/bash
# Usage: mp32avi.sh input.mp3 output.avi
input=$1
output=$2

background=/tmp/bng-black.jpg
convert -size 320x240 xc:black $background
ffmpeg -loop_input -i $background -i $input -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec copy -shortest -qscale 5 $output

What would be interesting is to get the artist and/or title tag from the audio metadata and feed that to the "create black image with white text" (post #2) example for convert.

Update: I also added -qscale 5 to cudjoe's script so the output quality should be better for more complicated backgrounds other than just a solid color.

Lars Noodén
January 22nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
@ FakeOutdoorsman : That looks useful. Sorry for a dumb question: Does that method wrap the MP3s as AVI as is, or does it transcode them and reduce the sound quality further?

FakeOutdoorsman
January 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
@ FakeOutdoorsman : That looks useful. Sorry for a dumb question: Does that method wrap the MP3s as AVI as is, or does it transcode them and reduce the sound quality further?

There is no re-encoding of the audio in the script because it is using the -acodec copy option. It is basically copying the audio from the MP3 file and pasting it into an AVI file.

There is a -vcodec copy option as well which is quite useful. Both of these options are good for trimming a video without re-encoding or adding/removing audio/video to a file without any need to re-encode.

FakeOutdoorsman
January 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Here's a new version:
add the title to the black background
use gif because it is faster to decode than png apparently
set frame rate
add requirements
make background randomly named and then delete it

#!/bin/bash
# Requires: imagemagick, ffmpeg
# Usage: ./mp32avi.sh input.mp3 output.avi

background=/tmp/$RANDOM.gif

title=`ffmpeg -i $1 2>&1 | grep TIT2 | cut -d: -f 2`

convert -size 320x240 xc:black -fill white -draw "gravity Center text 0,0 '$title'" $background

ffmpeg -loop_input -r ntsc -i $background -i $1 -acodec copy -shortest -qscale 5 $2

rm $background

exit

Kilarin
January 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
this scrip creates the avi just fine, but the background is plain black. For some reason its not grabbing the mp3 title info.

I made certain the title was populated in both v1 and v2 tags. Am I missing some component?

thanks again!

FakeOutdoorsman
January 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
this scrip creates the avi just fine, but the background is plain black. For some reason its not grabbing the mp3 title info.

I made certain the title was populated in both v1 and v2 tags. Am I missing some component?

thanks again!

I forgot to mention that you'll need a relatively recent version of FFmpeg for the title grabbing part of the script to work. I'll have to check if Karmic uses a recent enough FFmpeg, but I'm out of town right now.

It might be easier to just install the id3v2 package and run this (untested) version of the script:

#!/bin/bash
# Requires: imagemagick, id3v2, ffmpeg
# Usage: ./mp32avi.sh input.mp3 output.avi

background=/tmp/$RANDOM.gif

title=`id3v2 -l $1 | grep TIT2 | cut -d: -f 2`

convert -size 320x240 xc:black -fill white -draw "gravity Center text 0,0 '$title'" $background

ffmpeg -loop_input -r ntsc -i $background -i $1 -acodec copy -shortest -qscale 5 $2

rm $background

exit

Kilarin
January 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM
That works, thanks.