View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Getting Started with Ardour

August 19th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hello. I am coming from Mac OS and Pro Tools for recording and manipulating audio. I am just getting started with Ubuntu. My system is a Dell Dimension 8300. I managed to get my sound card working using Pulseaudio. I installed Ardour 2.7. So far, I am unable to get any playback in Ardour. I have looked at the Jack interface, and am not sure what to make of it. If I could just get audio playback working in Ardour, that would probably be enough to get me started.

Help, please!

August 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
On the Session Control window that appears when Ardour first starts, there is a tab that says Audio Setup. On the Device tab of the Audio Setup tab, if I select Intel ICH5, the transport will function and playback will occur, with signal showing on the vu meters for the track with audio in it and the Master track, however, I get no sound. However, if I select EMU10K1X Front, the transport wont even function, and Ardour will not allow me to play anything.

Also, on the Advanced tab under the Audio Setup tab, under Input device and Output device, Intel ICH5 is grayed out, and I can't select the any other options.

I noticed that in the Pulseaudio Volume control utility, if I get no sound from a stream, I can click the menu at the far right of the stream under the Playback tab and choose from either Intel ICH5 or Dell Sound Blaster Live! EMU10K1X Front under the 'Move stream..' option.

I was never able to get any audio to work on my system without using Pulseaudio.