PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I did something with my screen resolution that I can't seem to undo, or can I?

fatgreta
August 19th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Hi,

I found the System -> Display feature. My screen resolution was set at 16xx x 12xx or something like that, a little too high. I changed it to 1280 x ?? and wanted to try one more setting for comparison, so I went to 1024 x 768. I got a message that to use that resolution, ??? and I can't remember, but I clicked OK (silly I guess). now the resolution is set to 1024 x 768, but when I try to change it, that's the highest resolution option I have, I can't go back to the next one up. Can anyone help me at least restore the default setting?

Thanks,

Chris

PS - I never installed any drivers of any sort after installing Ubuntu, if that matters. I'm currently dealing with not enough disk space to use the update manager (I've got another thread going about that).

goldblattster
August 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I am not sure if this will work, but when you see the "booting" stage, press a key at the appropriate time (the screen should notify you) press the key, and then select "rescue", or "safe", or "recovery" mode from the grub menu. After you see a basic CLI selection thing, select "fix graphics" etc. From the list. After it's done, restart your computer and see if it is fixed.