PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Radeon 4770 and Catalyst 9.8 FYI

pszpak
August 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I recently purchased a Radeon 4770 and installed the newest Catalyst driver (9.8) on Jaunty. I had a lot of trepidation in going the ATI root (especially when reading these forums) but it works great. With compiz enabled and emerald installed my desktop is snappy and looks good. I have noticed no artefacts or annoying delays and DVD/video playback is perfect. I'm on a single monitor.

One tip I have for newer Radeon card owners: Do not use the restricted driver offered by ubuntu, it will work, but has a nasty little graphic from AMD saying the hardware is not supported and removing it after installation is a pain. Download and manually install the newest driver from ATI/AMD here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.40&lang=English.

It will work perfectly, or at least it did for me.

bobince
August 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Congrats on getting your hands on one of these currently highly elusive beasties! :-)

frecon
September 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
One tip I have for newer Radeon card owners: Do not use the restricted driver offered by ubuntu, it will work, but has a nasty little graphic from AMD saying the hardware is not supported and removing it after installation is a pain.

I just did that. I should have searched for installations instructions before I activated the restricted drivers. Now don't get a login screen (or at least there's no picture). But I can use ctrl-alt-f1 to get into the terminal. Can I uninstall the restricted drivers from here and then install the AMD drivers?