PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No Synaptic Password

cat2005
August 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I logged into synaptic to check something a moment ago. I had to use my password. I then exited. A few minutes later, I need to re-enter synaptic. I did so, but was not asked for a password.

Why is that? More importantly, how can I fix the system such that it asks for a password every time I want to do an admin task, even if I just did that same task 2 or 3 minutes ago?

LewRockwell
August 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I logged into synaptic to check something a moment ago. I had to use my password. I then exited. A few minutes later, I need to re-enter synaptic. I did so, but was not asked for a password.

Why is that? More importantly, how can I fix the system such that it asks for a password every time I want to do an admin task, even if I just did that same task 2 or 3 minutes ago?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82456

cat2005
August 19th, 2009, 03:15 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82456

Hi,

Yes, I have been to that website but am still lost. I used to run Mepis and it had a "superuser file manager". I could click on it and enter my root password. From there, I could find any critical document (fstab, etc) and edit it if needed. No other window would have root, just the one I opened.

I am trying to find / do something like that for Ubuntu-Gnome. I am using Ubuntu 9.04 at the moment.

I tried "gksudo gedit", but that was very confusing. Neverthless, looking here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24008 (post #5)

seems to give some guidance on how to create a "launcher". A launcher could work but to be honest, I do not understand the instructions given. Am I supposed to put those lines into terminal or somewhere else? Once completed, would this launcher still prompt me for a root password?

Sorry, but I grew up Windows. I hope Ubuntu proves to be a good de-tox program. :-)

Thanks.

drs305
August 19th, 2009, 03:32 AM
seems to give some guidance on how to create a "launcher". A launcher could work but to be honest, I do not understand the instructions given. Am I supposed to put those lines into terminal or somewhere else? Once completed, would this launcher still prompt me for a root password?

Sorry, but I grew up Windows. I hope Ubuntu proves to be a good de-tox program. :-)

Thanks.

To create a launcher, right click on the panel, Add to Panel, Custom Application Launcher. Name it what you want. In the command line, in the example you referenced, add: gksudo "gnome-open %u"
Click OK to save the shortcut.

You can drag any file to that panel icon and the file will open with the default gui app run as root.

You would still be prompted for a password in this example.

stoogiebuncho
August 19th, 2009, 03:48 AM
If you want a "superuser file manager", you should try this:

gksudo nautilus

(Nautilus is the file manager in Ubuntu (assuming you're running gnome). Putting the "gksudo" in front of it opens it as root and will ask you for a password)

You can create a launcher by putting that code in the "command" line of a launcher, as described above.

cat2005
August 19th, 2009, 04:13 AM
To create a launcher, right click on the panel, Add to Panel, Custom Application Launcher. Name it what you want. In the command line, in the example you referenced, add: gksudo "gnome-open %u"
Click OK to save the shortcut.

You can drag any file to that panel icon and the file will open with the default gui app run as root.

You would still be prompted for a password in this example.

Oh....I see now....I should type

gksudo "gnome-open %u"

in the application launcher "command line" not terminal "command line". Thanks.

cat2005
August 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
If you want a "superuser file manager", you should try this:

gksudo nautilus(Nautilus is the file manager in Ubuntu (assuming you're running gnome). Putting the "gksudo" in front of it opens it as root and will ask you for a password)

You can create a launcher by putting that code in the "command" line of a launcher, as described above.

Question: When creating a launcher, what is the difference between putting:

gksudo "gnome-open %u"

and

gksudo nautilus

Thank you again!

stoogiebuncho
August 19th, 2009, 04:20 AM
gksudo "gnome-open %u" creates a launcher that you can drag other files onto and it will open them with administrative rights.

gksudo nautilus opens the file manager with administrative rights

Does that make sense?

cat2005
August 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM
gksudo "gnome-open %u" creates a launcher that you can drag other files onto and it will open them with administrative rights.

gksudo nautilus opens the file manager with administrative rights

Does that make sense?

Yes, now I get it....thank you again.