PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rhythmbox

Dobbie03
August 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Everytime I open Rhythmbox it seems to have to re-add my collection (which is kept on a external hard-drive) is there anyway to stop this happening? What I am trying to say is, when I open Rhythmbox for the first time it doesn't have to search my hard-drive the songs are there loaded ready to go.

Temposs
August 18th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Do you mean it finds your library automatically but the loading is slower than you'd like?

It's probably slower than you'd like because you have them on an external hard drive, which has to be told to spin up, and that can take a few seconds. The solution to this would be to store your library on an internal hard drive.

Iusedtowearatie
August 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Like you I have my music collection on an external (network) drive. I too experience that it takes a few seconds before Rhythmbox is "ready to go".
However, unless you have a completely static music library, I think this is actually the best way to configure it - I add stuff to my library in various ways, from various sources, without the involvement of Rhythmbox - when I launch Rhythmbox, it lists all the contents, old and new. I don't need to update anything.

neu2buntu
August 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
rhythmbox > edit > preferences > music > and untick watch my library for new files.

Dobbie03
August 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
rhythmbox > edit > preferences > music > and untick watch my library for new files.

I have done that, but when I start Rhythmbox for the first time it has a tab with the title of "missing files" it then searches through my collection which is pretty substantial, it just seems weird that it is so damn slow. When I gad windows, winamp updated and was ready to go in seconds.

Temposs
August 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Well, these are two different programs you're dealing with. Winamp may have a superior method of loading the music library. You could try using Banshee, which will be the default music player in the next version of Ubuntu. See if that works any better for you.

Dobbie03
August 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'll check out Banshee. Is it possible to have artwork display on the desktop with Banshee?

Temposs
August 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I've never used Banshee. I just know it will be the default music player in the next version of Ubuntu, so it must be pretty good :-) I imagine it will do most of what Rhythmbox can do, and probably some stuff it can't do.

Dobbie03
August 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Well so far it has added all of the 00 and something filty .wma files I have. It looks good too.

SammichDinosaur
November 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I think I have the same Rhythmbox problem. I keep my music on an external drive (140GB of music). It works fine as long as I only have Rhythmbox open when the drive is connected. However if I ever open Rhythmbox when the drive isn't connected (to listen to internet radio) it starts scanning and deleting my library. Then the next time it has to re-add the music which takes a substantial amount of time and CPU power. I have unticked "watch library" to no effect.

mamece2
October 6th, 2010, 12:02 AM
i think RB fails big time in this external drive issue...

i have the same problem...

does anyone figure out how to solve the problem about scanning my external HD everytime i start RB?

mr_luksom
October 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM
You could use amarok of you want rhythmbox functionality, or you could use a lighter player like exaile.

I gave up on rhythmbox personally.