PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks gnome should support separate wallpapers for dual screens?

fela
August 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Poll for anyone running dual monitors on gnome: don't you think it's a pain having to gimp custom wallpapers to fit your custom resolution? I have a 1280x1024 screen next to a 1440x900 screen, and if I want to change my wallpaper I have to gimp one with a resolution of 2720x1024.

If gnome supported using a different wallpaper on each monitor, then I wouldn't have to do this.

It's not a massive issue but there's lots of these little quirks that gnome devs continue to refuse to consider. It would just make the OS look that much more professional.

PS. I hope they fix it for GNOME 3! Can't wait.

aysiu
August 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I think this is supposed to be implemented in Karmic:
Idea #93: Different wallpapers on different monitors/workspace (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/93/)
This idea was marked as being in development the 11 May 08. Target release: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.
Developer comments
This feature is a Google Summer of Code 2008 project.
Follow the development of this feature on the student's blog:
http://gsocblog.jsharpe.net/
Update: it seems his code didn't reached Gnome 2.24, thus this feature won't be present in Intrepid.
Update2: Not in Jaunty too. It seems the code wasn't accepted in Gnome. Need to investigate.

cariboo
August 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I don't really care about different wallpapers on different monitors, how about just on different workspaces, KDE has had it for years installed as a default.

fela
August 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
@aysiu: cool! Although I won't be using karmic - I prefer to stay with stable software. I'll probably just jump to 10.04 when 10.10 comes out. Even then I'll test it on my 'test' partition first, extensively. Right now I have karmic alpha on my test partition.

I don't really care about different wallpapers on different monitors, how about just on different workspaces, KDE has had it for years installed as a default.

I don't really use workspaces now that I have my second monitor :P. But I can see your point, and really could when I had one monitor (and used workspaces extensively). I managed to get it working once, albeit without desktop icons (but I don't really use them anyway).

epsolon77
August 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think this is a good idea and would love to see it implemented, both on workspace and monitors. However I would much prefer more robust windows application support. I know that isn't an Ubuntu thing, just stating my preference.

hyperdude111
August 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I only got my second monitor today and one is 1920x1080 and the other is 1280x1024. I am using KDE 4.3 at the moment and cant find the option for one wallpaper over two screens, ironically gnome is the opposite.

fela
August 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I think this is a good idea and would love to see it implemented, both on workspace and monitors. However I would much prefer more robust windows application support. I know that isn't an Ubuntu thing, just stating my preference.

This isn't gonna happen, becaues Linux wasn't designed to run windows programs. Actually I think it's very sad that people are running Linux and putting windows apps on it using some kludgy software like wine. It makes linux look like a windows knock off. Linux with linux programs is the way to go. If you want to run windows programs why not just run windows?

epsolon77
August 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
This isn't gonna happen, becaues Linux wasn't designed to run windows programs. Actually I think it's very sad that people are running Linux and putting windows apps on it using some kludgy software like wine. It makes linux look like a windows knock off. Linux with linux programs is the way to go. If you want to run windows programs why not just run windows?

I wrote a long explanation of my reasoning for wanting windows support for linux, but figured it would be better just to say that I do run windows at work, but would prefer not to. It's just a wish, but wishes don't come true by keeping them in, only by putting em out there and trying to help them grow.

You are correct that we in the IT field, no matter if we are paid for it, or just do so as a hobby, should not force hardware or software to do anything other than it was designed for. However, when you have a square peg and a round hole, I for one have a habit of whittling down the corners. Not saying it's good, just geek nature.

fela
August 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I wrote a long explanation of my reasoning for wanting windows support for linux, but figured it would be better just to say that I do run windows at work, but would prefer not to. It's just a wish, but wishes don't come true by keeping them in, only by putting em out there and trying to help them grow.

You are correct that we in the IT field, no matter if we are paid for it, or just do so as a hobby, should not force hardware or software to do anything other than it was designed for. However, when you have a square peg and a round hole, I for one have a habit of whittling down the corners. Not saying it's good, just geek nature.

Still can't really see your point. Getting windows programs working on Linux and promoting the usage of that is totally against the philosophy and nature of Linux. It's meant as an alternative, not a copy.

running_rabbit07
August 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I see nothing wrong with customizing a system to use two monitors with differing wallpapers, nor do I see anything wrong with making a system use one OSes programs work on another OS. OpenOffice works on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Why not Photoshop or MS Office or whatever programs you like. Linux is about freedom to make your system work for you. Not shut the doors on Windows &Mac.

@aysiu: cool! Although I won't be using karmic - I prefer to stay with stable software. I'll probably just jump to 10.04 when 10.10 comes out.

Why so skittish? After all you are using Jaunty before Karmic has released.

Regenweald
August 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Actually, Windows XP, Vista and 7, provide very robust windows application support. I'd like to see more robust applications in Linux and those wiley devs are hard at work doing so.

On topic: I agree, it's not that big an issue but it's nice to see it being worked on for multiple monitor users.

fela
August 20th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I see nothing wrong with customizing a system to use two monitors with differing wallpapers, nor do I see anything wrong with making a system use one OSes programs work on another OS. OpenOffice works on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Why not Photoshop or MS Office or whatever programs you like. Linux is about freedom to make your system work for you. Not shut the doors on Windows &Mac.

Because Openoffice was specifically designed to have Linux, mac and windows versions. It hasn't been hacked together to kind of work on Linux, when it's actually a win32 application. It's coded in java I believe, furthering its cross platform capability. Things like photoshop and MS office are just coded for a certain OS, and making them work on Linux is hard, impossible actually (to make them work perfectly) due to the companies making them not cooperating. Sure I'd love to see people actually code things like photoshop for Linux, but hacking a kludge to make it sort of work with Linux is not good, and against the nature of Linux or anything really software wise. Windows programs are for Windows, Linux programs are for Linux, OSX programs are for OSX, cross platform programs are for all. That's just the way it is.

Why so skittish? After all you are using Jaunty before Karmic has released.

Umm, no. I use intrepid. Why did you think I used jaunty? Karmic is in my avatar thingy because I have a partition with that on it for testing it.

running_rabbit07
August 20th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Why did you think I used jaunty?

Your signature.:)

Main System: Ubuntu 9.04100 Words Per Minute typist, proven!
Athlon X2 6000 Brisbane 3.1GHz (stock)
2x2GB Patriot DDR2 800 PC2-6400 RAM
Geforce 9800 GT 512MB DDR3

Phreaker
August 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Definitely!

MaxIBoy
August 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
You can always tack two wallpapers onto the same picture.

From what I understand, doing this a different way, while probably possible, would be very complex and involved, and would require all kinds of "guesswork" to make it feasible.

fela
August 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Your signature.:)

Damn, that needs updating! It used to run jaunty. Damn! Sorry about that!

running_rabbit07
August 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Damn, that needs updating! It used to run jaunty. Damn! Sorry about that!

No problem. I backed up from Jaunty to Hardy. I just wanted to go with the LTS. And run Jaunty and Karmic in VBox. A good thing to, because Karmic took a dump and quit working all together last night. There was nothing wrong with Jaunty except I couldn't get FF3.5 to work with it on my system.

fela
August 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
No problem. I backed up from Jaunty to Hardy. I just wanted to go with the LTS. And run Jaunty and Karmic in VBox. A good thing to, because Karmic took a dump and quit working all together last night. There was nothing wrong with Jaunty except I couldn't get FF3.5 to work with it on my system.

The only thing wrong for me in jaunty was the dealbreaker: sound latencies, unfixable with a custom kernel due to nvidia's drivers not supporting linux-realtime. I need the proprietary drivers because, with the open source driver the fan control gets passed to the video BIOS, which puts the fan at a nice, constant 100%. Jet engine speed you might call it :)

#11u-max
August 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
mine used to do that, it sounded like a jet taking off! wwwhhhrrrrrrrrrr..............