PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Older PC Installation Error

mcp1
August 18th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm an absolute beginnger here, and am sure this has already been discussed elsewhere on the Forum, so if anyone can direct me to that thread it would be appreciated.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on an older PC (IBM Netvista 800/Windows XP) which had picked up a virus. It partially installed and then said there was an error on the disk and stopped, so it has wiped out part of the old system and the computer won't run at all (not even in Safe mode).

I tried re-downloading Ubuntu (md5Sum checked out) and rewriting it to a new disk using Infrarecorder, and it came up with the same error.

Am I doing something wrong on how it's writing it? Is it the hardware configuration? Do I need to fully erase the drive to install it. If so, how could I do that now that the basic system is gone?

Thanks for any help

NightwishFan
August 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
You could start perhaps by giving us your system specs and being more specific about the error you are receiving.

jerrrys
August 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
your system specs suggest your running 128meg of ram which is not enough to run/install 9.04...

mcp1
August 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Sorry, I have 1GB of RAM installed, 800Mhz NetVista (one of the all-in-one units) with a Seagate 120GB drive.

The problem shows up in the installation process, where it will go as far as the disk partitiion screen, then stop working altogether. If I then check the disk for errors it says that it has 1 error on it. But, could this happen with two different downloads which checked out with the md5sum?

I used the MIT site for download. Should I use something else?

NightwishFan
August 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Edit, nevermind.

Try burning the CD on a slower speed like 2x. Make sure the error check passes. Also if the ISO itself has errors try to bittorrent the Ubuntu ISO. (Ubuntu can run on 1gb RAM 800mhz) If you do not bittorrent, then use a download manager to download, such as firefox.

running_rabbit07
August 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I always use the University of Utah download. What speed are you burning at?

LowSky
August 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Alternative install might work bette ron your slower machine
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

mcp1
August 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I believe it was at 16x. I'll try it much slower.