PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ctrl (control) key sticks when using OpenOffice Calc

Paddy Landau
August 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have a bizarre error that happens only when I use OpenOffice's Calc spreadsheet. Worse, it happens only intermittently, so I can't reliably or consistently duplicate it. Some days it doesn't happen at all, and some days it happens several times.

When I using OO Calc and I press a Ctrl-key combination (e.g. Ctrl-S to save or Ctrl-C to copy), sometimes the Ctrl key sticks.

How do I know that the Ctrl key has stuck?

Anything that I click is selected as if I were pressing the Ctrl key. So if I click several cells, they're all selected. If I select a few icons on the desktop, they're all selected. If I select two or more pieces of text in the browser or in Writer, they are all selected.
Anything that wouldn't work when the Ctrl-key is pressed, doesn't work (e.g. pressing a letter on the keypad or clicking certain buttons).

I've tried pressing various keys on the keypad, including both Ctrl keys, and the problem remains. I cannot do any work at all, even if I close OpenOffice. The only way I can solve this is to press the power key on my computer to shut it down, and then boot it up again.

Does anyone have a clue how to solve this? Perhaps I'm unwittingly pressing some key combination that turns on sticky keys?