PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Platforms designed for LINUX

Ceiber Boy
August 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
HI All

i've been using linux for a year now and would like to stay (not go back to windows), however my intel based hardware dose not like running linux. i'm assuming because intel was designed to run windows!

Dose any one know of any other platform that is designed purerly to run linux?
i.e PCC, Alpha, Sparc, Itanium, and so on.

if their is such a platform i would buy one.

thanks

ianmillington
August 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Intel are significant contributors to Linux and Open Source so their hardware, generally, is pretty linux-friendly.

What equipiment have you got (specifying the make of the major compnents) and what issues are you having?

Ceiber Boy
August 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I'm using a HP Pavilion ze2000 Laptop, i know that one of the major problems that i have is 500MB of memory! so i have to be very careful about how many parallel operations i'm conducting.

the laptop has an all in one integrated mother board, graphics card, sound etc. (by intel). the graphics will only run in the basic mode, the hardrive light comes on and the laptop will refuse to do anything for a couple of minutes then it will work again!

can the layout /design/architecture of the motherboard be build for any particular OS or not?

Bachstelze
August 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Dose any one know of any other platform that is designed purerly to run linux?
i.e PCC, Alpha, Sparc, Itanium, and so on.

if their is such a platform i would buy one.

Too bad, there is none. Linux can run on all those platforms, though (and lots of others).

Ceiber Boy
August 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM
if you are a computer hardware manufacturer, and would like to make a shed of money, design a motherboard specifically to run the best OS in the world, LINUX.:P

Bachstelze
August 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM
if you are a computer hardware manufacturer, and would like to make a shed of money, design a motherboard specifically to run the best OS in the world, LINUX.:P

Great idea! Now to write to Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. I'm sure they'll be interested in spending millions to design an architecture specifically for an OS that is run by less than 1% of computer users.

ianmillington
August 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
To answer the original poster, I suspect there is nothing about the hardware that would stop it running ubuntu per se. The RAM is a bit lightweight if you are trying to run ubuntu with either a gnome or KDE desktop, although gnome should be more lightweight than KDE. Installing the Xubuntu desktop would improve things I think but before you do this can you let us know:

1. Have you set up a swap partition? I would consider that to be vital on a low memory machine
2. Open a terminal and run top. Are there any processes in there that seem to be hogging resources?
3. What variant are you running (Ubuntu, kubuntu etc)