View Full Version : [ubuntu] is 3g tethering type internet access doable on ubuntu on a pay as you go basis?

August 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I had heard of such devices, the 3g ones, that will allow you to connect to the contract/subscribed internet access for laptops. I have never used it, but it appears the adjustments in network-manager-gnome would be able to be tweaked for some providers pay as you go, sim card plan. i was wondering if anyone knew of a provider that would allow for that, on a pay as you go plan (data) make the adjustments in network-manager-gnome, to be get onlnie maybe could recommend a inexpensive adaptor that would work easily enough under ubuntu. i'd likely be running karmic alpha 4 on my laptop should this be achievable. something inexpensive, but just works. i'd need a usb adaptor though. i would be willing to fall back to jaunty, should that prove to be a better choice for this sort of task.

thanks for any thoughts/help.

August 18th, 2009, 02:43 AM
If you are in the US, the only pay as you go 3g is from Virgin and it only works with windows as far as I can find. If you find another one that works with linux, let me know. I would like to have this for my netbook.

August 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
i read something about the Virgin/Sprint network using a MC760 card. this is a MC760 card that says works on linux as well. I've not seen anyone reporting how to use it with linux, but it claims linux support, and whether Virgin can be imported to it, i'm not certain.

if anyone finds out something I dont know about this working linux adaptor/Virgin, it'd be great if you can report it here.

thank you

August 18th, 2009, 03:36 AM
i found this link for a linux kernel patch, i'm uncertain what kernel they are trying to bring support for it. maybe karmic will support it ? i'm currently using alpha 4 on my laptop.

this link here, shows whats being done in Karmic regarding newer Novatel devices.

its Karmic update status is "Fix Released, Importance: Low". I'm curious if this means it would work under a daily alpha 4 build of Karmic. anyone care to help ?