PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution 32 bit message download slow, 64 bit is not

Statik
August 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hi All,

I had thought that my evolution install on my desktop was just slow naturally. It takes a couple of seconds to download each email and the network is not particularly busy. I am using spamassasin, which some people have pointed to as the slowdown.

However, on my laptop, I'm running Ubuntu 64bit with the same settings and downloading from the same server (different account that I migrated from the desktop) and it downloads 60 messages a second or so.

So, my question is: Is the 32bit Evolution/Spam Assassin just slow, or is there something I can look for that could be causing it to be slow?

Thanks,

Statik

LowSky
August 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
However, on my laptop, I'm running Ubuntu 64bit with the same settings and downloading from the same server (different account that I migrated from the desktop) and it downloads 60 messages a second or so.

64 bit gove about a 10% speed increase to most normal things, but wont effect things like this. Something tells me your spamassasin or email account settings are not the same, or something else peculiar happened when downloading the emails.

Statik
August 18th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I agree that something else is going on. The only difference, other than the 32bit/64bit thing is that the 64bit was a fresh install and the 32bit was a dist upgrade. Something is still hanging on and slowing it down, I think.

I just don't know enough about linux and evolution's send/receive stack to know where to look.

Statik