PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Visual Appearance

riceandlentils
August 17th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hi,
Another nooby question. I have 2 users set up with the same theme. One has Extra settings enabled in the Visual Effects of the Appearances settings.The other will not allow the Extra option to be set (only None) and gives me a 'desktop effects cannot be enabled' message.
Why can it be enabled for one user and not another?
Thanks

SoftwareExplorer
August 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
If you go to System->Administration->Users and Groups, then unlock it an select the second user and click properties, go to the user priveliges tab, is the Capture video from TV or Webcams, and use 3d acceleration checked?

riceandlentils
August 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
If you go to System->Administration->Users and Groups, then unlock it an select the second user and click properties, go to the user priveliges tab, is the Capture video from TV or Webcams, and use 3d acceleration checked?

Yes it's already checked.

mcduck
August 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
The issue here is that using desktop effects requires using your graphics card to handle the drawing, and only one user can do that at a time. So if you have many users logged in at the same time only one of them can have desktop effects enabled.

However if you log that user out first, and then log in as another user, that user can enable the desktop effects.

So it's not a permission thing, just a limitation in the way how direct rendering with graphics cards works.

riceandlentils
August 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM
That explains it. Thanks

SoftwareExplorer
August 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM
The issue here is that using desktop effects requires using your graphics card to handle the drawing, and only one user can do that at a time. So if you have many users logged in at the same time only one of them can have desktop effects enabled.

However if you log that user out first, and then log in as another user, that user can enable the desktop effects.

So it's not a permission thing, just a limitation in the way how direct rendering with graphics cards works.
That makes sense, but my computer lets all five of the users have desktop effects. Is this a limitation of some models of graphics cards? (Mine's a Nvidia). So I'm curious to hear if it works to log out user 1 and enable them on user 2.

northern lights
August 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
That makes sense, but my computer lets all five of the users have desktop effects. Is this a limitation of some models of graphics cards? (Mine's a Nvidia).
Have you had both logged in simultaneously?
Be aware that that'd be the culprit. Not user's existing.

SoftwareExplorer
August 18th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Have you had both logged in simultaneously?
Be aware that that'd be the culprit. Not user's existing.
Yes, I have multiple users logged in and we just switch users back and forth. Is that what you mean or are you talking about multiseat configuration?

northern lights
August 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Is that what you mean or are you talking about multiseat configuration?
The latter is what would not allow both users to use the feature. Just like you can't run two windows games simultaneously, even if your CPU could.

SoftwareExplorer
August 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Well, with a little testing, it's possible to have 2 users logged in with desktop effects with nvidia, but it doesn't seem to work with intel.