PDA

View Full Version : Why the Wars

PlatinumPlus
February 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Going through many forums of different distros I come across a number of posts of the Windows vs Linux flavor. Of late it appears Linux distros are now at "war" against each other. Some may argue and say it's good for development but as a noob I think it only adds to confusion and mistrust:-k

alamba
February 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
No wars - just competition. Each distro has its owns plus and minuses.Gives end users more options on what to use based on their needs.

Akshay

Deaf_Head
February 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think we are all waiting for the linux messiah .. the all-in-one-answer to deliver the world from the tyranny that is windows and microsoft.

Oh, and I hate to be a conspiracy theorist .. but microsoft INSURGENTS!!!

(what's sad is it could be true, many larger companies engage in extremely aggressive marketing under false names and organizations through the internet. Trolling would be a new one, but I wouldn't put it past em ...)

PlatinumPlus
February 6th, 2006, 09:59 AM
No wars - just competition.
Akshay

Just a way of getting more users on their side :-k

Leo_01
February 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Actually having friendly fire once in a while is nice... :rolleyes:
Diff disto suit diff needs...
like DSL it suits home users with low end systems...
and Red hat suits biz users...

alamba
February 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Just a way of getting more users on their side :-k

Lol...could be!! Though I doubt every distro aims to convert win users to linux. :twisted:

A

raublekick
February 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Linux distros are like a bunch of siblings and cousins. They're gonna fight, but they're all one big family in the end.

chimera
February 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Becase of zionist occupied goverments, muslim extremists and...oh, you mean OS wars, not the real ones...

because of Linux zealots, why else;)

Brunellus
February 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Going through many forums of different distros I come across a number of posts of the Windows vs Linux flavor. Of late it appears Linux distros are now at "war" against each other. Some may argue and say it's good for development but as a noob I think it only adds to confusion and mistrust:-k
The Linux community is full of people who like things their own way. They apreciate the freedom and control over their computers that free software affords them.

Unfortunately, these people are, in many cases, totally convinced that their way--the way they've set up on their computers--is the ONLY TRUE WAY. Some go out of their way to preach this One True Way; others actively attack people who are not adherents.

Fortunately, there's a lot of space in the community...

poofyhairguy
February 6th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Of late it appears Linux distros are now at "war" against each other. Some may argue and say it's good for development but as a noob I think it only adds to confusion and mistrust:-k

Welcome to human nature. I hope you enjoy your stay.

krusbjorn
February 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Remember that the vast majority of the linux users arent like this at all. The few threads that makes it look like it's a "war" just get a lot of publicity. Most of us love many other distros and also see the weak spots of the one (or the few) we're using.

In this thread are some good thoughts:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=125022