PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Post-Compiz problems

ricardisimo
August 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Out of curiosity I tried out Compiz, installed CompizConfig Settings Manager, and checked off a few options... "Maximumize", "Desktop Cube", "Cube Reflection and Deformation", etc. I'm clearly not doing something right, because nothing set my panties on fire, and there's no real cube at all, so far as I can tell.

Whatever, no big. The problem is that in enabling some of those options, I disabled other stuff that was managing my desktop. Now I have problems: When I switch to Workspace 2, the right button on my mouse does absolutely nothing, and panels start disappearing on both Workspaces. I have to start clicking around wildly to get them back. What gives? How do I make it all go away? Should I try disabling all visual effects, logging out, then going back to "Extra Effects"?

Thanks.

realzippy
August 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
"and there's no real cube at all"

"and panels start disappearing on both Workspaces."

If you want a cube,you need 4 workspaces.
CCSM/General/GeneralOptions/DesktopSize

set first slider to 4.....

ricardisimo
August 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I answered my own question:
System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects = None, and then log out and back in. Then go back to "Extra Effects" and all is well again.

As for the cube, I kind of figured as much, but even with just the two desktops that I had, the switching was less than attractive. I prefer just the regular "Extra" with no bugs. Thanks again.

P.S. - Hmmm... the desktop switching is not quite back to how it was. It is "flipping" away now, pivoting from the top of the screen, rather than sliding left and right with the brief arrow icons appearing as they used to do. It's not the end of the world, and my mouse buttons are working, which is all I really care about, but if I did want the old look back, how would I do that?

ajgreeny
August 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
You could try disabling compiz with
metacity --replace renaming the folder ~/.gconf/apps/compiz as ~/.gconf/apps/compizbak and then start compiz again with
compiz --replaceThis will remove all configuration you have set in the past and take you back to the defaults.

ricardisimo
August 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM
But isn't metacity what I had to begin with? Do I want compiz back at any point?

mcduck
August 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
But isn't metacity what I had to begin with? Do I want compiz back at any point?

If you have desktop effects set to "none" you use Metacity, the other two settings give pre-configured Compiz setups.

What comes to your problem with desktops flipping instead of sliding, that sounds like you still have the Cube plugin enabled instead of the Desktop Wall.

And the problem with strangely acting desktops with the Cube plugin, that sounds like you had set the amount of desktops to higher than one, instead of using the horizontal & vertical virtual sizes which are what you should use to control the amount of virtual desktops.

(normal cube setup would be horizontal virtual size of 4, vertical virtual size of 1 and number of desktops set to 1. If you then changed the number of desktops to 2, you'd get two cubes, each one with 4 virtual desktops. The problem, of course, is that all your panels etc. are by default only configured to run on the first desktop so your second cube would be just empty cube without any panels)

ricardisimo
August 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I tried your suggestion. Didn't correct the problems I noted and others I'm noticing. Hopefully a reboot will do.

john_lee
August 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hi, I would like to ask if ubuntu has a freeware network client server?where can I download that software?please help me on my problem. Thank you

ricardisimo
August 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I think I've taken care of it. Thanks to everyone who responded.

System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager => Preferences > Profile > "Reset to defaults"

Ta-Dah!

gradinaruvasile
August 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Install Fusion-icon from Applications->add/remove

Makes life sooo much easier. You can switch compiz/metacity in 1 click, launch the settings manager etc.