PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Learned something I didn't know!

lazyart
August 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM
So I've been running Ubuntu for about three years now. Don't use Windows much-- don't need it other than for a couple apps, and I usually fire up a virtual machine for that.

However today I found out something neat about the program bar. You know, where you have buttons for each window you have open (in a default installation, it's on the bottom of the screen). When I would restart my machine, I would always open Thunderbird first so that it would be in the leftmost position on the bar. I like it there... I know where to find it when I need to switch to it.

Well, I just found out that you can drag the items on that bar into any order you want.

Simple, but pretty cool. :)

Anyone else have neat things they stumbled on accidentally?

coldReactive
August 17th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Nice find, though I wouldn't use it personally.

JC Cheloven
August 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM
The greatest finding since the tab-for-completion in terminal :-D

nhasian
August 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Well, I just found out that you can drag the items on that bar into any order you want.
Anyone else have neat things they stumbled on accidentally?

yep its like common sense isnt it? man it really aggravates me when windows are out of order at the bottom toolbar. you know you can do that with firefox tabs as well right? you can even move a tab to becomes its own window, or bring in an entire firefox window into a tab on another firefox browser screen. (firefox 3.5)

tab for autocomplete works for both programs, as well as filenames. it even works for stuff in the repository! like if you were to type "apt-get install firef[tab]" it would list all applications that start with firef*

Shift-Insert to paste in a terminal. i use it all the time to copy/paste commands into a terminal.

OooBuntuRox
August 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I like that you can have an applet bar on both the top and bottom of the screen and... if you want, you can drag an icon from one bar to the other.

The only think that confuses me is, when I minmize an application, it goes down to the bottom left of the screen and i can't bring it back without rebooting. The button to bring back , in the lower left corner, is not help. When I say minimize the application I mean clicking on the minus sign of the window at the upper left of the window.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks, OooBuntuRox :guitar:

nhasian
August 17th, 2009, 06:58 AM
it sounds like your missing the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

At the top bar right click and select "new panel" now it should appear on the bottom. Now right click on the new panel and choose "add to panel" and select Window List

alternatively you can always switch between open programs with alt-tab or superkey-tab

The only think that confuses me is, when I minmize an application, it goes down to the bottom left of the screen and i can't bring it back without rebooting. The button to bring back , in the lower left corner, is not help. When I say minimize the application I mean clicking on the minus sign of the window at the upper left of the window.

donato roque
August 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Very nice thread. I learned a lot about the desktop. but i do have one question. I like the system tray concept. I like to park an application or two up there when I am doing something else. But once parked, how do I open the window using the keyboard? I know about the mouse of course.