PDA

View Full Version : The decidedly unofficial "talk about whatever" thread.

Pages : [1] 2

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Now, on most forums, each thread stays with a specific topic, and when threads go off topic, people lose interest and the thread dies. That's not the goal of this thread. The goal of this thread is to provide a place for one long, meandering discussion to take place, with no worries of it being closed for being off topic (please Joeb454? :) ). Now, that doesn't mean you should randomly hijack the thread, or post out-of-nowhere, hey-look-I'm-clever nonsense posts just to change the subject. Just keep the discussion going, and we'll see where it takes us. I'll make and update a list periodically in the OP covering what topics have been discussed here.

I'd rather this stayed in the cafe, rather than Games or Recurring discussions, etc etc.

Make sure you guys stay within the CoC and don't go discussing something too... exotic. s/x/r/.

The first topic is up to poster #2.

Here's the list, in chronological order:

The thread about children on leashes
This thread's lack of a topic
Does catching a fly make you Zen?
Linus has a blog. OMG YAY?
Someone doesn't want to interact with their girlfriend because of the lack of interaction
Working at a movie theater is an interesting experience
Mexican graffiti
OpenOffice.org - MS Office incompatibilities
i think this thread is a pretty cool guy. ti kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything.
Drama deja vu and the avoidance thereof
I LIKE PIE
Creepy old guys with cameras
Fedora 11
Arch
OpenSuSE 11
Jalapeño flavored gummy candy from Arizona
Linux Mint
Jerry Seinfeld
Television shows we like
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR
Beer
echo "Lawl wut?" | rev
Sleep schedules
ʇxǝʇ dı1ɟ ʇ,uɐɔ sqoou
Reasons to leave Australia
Football
"The best part about this thread is it's strictly low-carb, low-cal and excellent for people who are diabetic, nursing, pregnant or who may become pregnant."
Sense: this picture makes none
Is Chucky Chuckaluck secretly a woodchuck? Film at 11.
Pi

Post Monkeh
August 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
i apologise for making so many posts in the kid leash thread last night but i was posting from my phone and coludn't merge all the quotes/replies into 1 post, but there were so many stupid opinions to reply to that i just couldn't contain myself and stop posting.

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Thread's closed now anyways.

Stan_1936
August 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
i apologise for making so many posts in the kid leash thread last night but i was posting from my phone and coludn't merge all the quotes/replies into 1 post, but there were so many stupid opinions to reply to that i just couldn't contain myself and stop posting.

OK, poster#2, now if you had to summarize that into 1 short sentence that describes the first topic of this thread, what would that sentence be?

Something like "Typing on phones really sucks"???

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
OK, poster#2, now if you had to summarize that into 1 short sentence that describes the topic of this thread, what would that sentence be?

The topic is a lie.

Stan_1936
August 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM
What are you trying to say?

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM
What are you trying to say?

Do not try to define the topic. That is impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

There is no topic.

NCLI
August 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM
This thread is Zen...

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
This thread is Zen...

I can catch flies. Does that make me zen?

JDShu
August 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM
does anybody know the microblogs of prominent developers and/or projects? Or do they not do that sort of thing?

... am I hijacking? I don't want to start a new thread just for this.

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
does anybody know the microblogs of prominent developers and/or projects? Or do they not do that sort of thing?

http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/

^^ Linus Torvalds' informal blog.

Post Monkeh
August 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
OK, poster#2, now if you had to summarize that into 1 short sentence that describes the first topic of this thread, what would that sentence be?

Something like "Typing on phones really sucks"???

saves me interacting with the girlfriend so it doesn't suck that much!

Thread's closed now anyways.

i know, hence my apology in here. it is a thread about everything :P (se how i replied to 2 different quotes there?)

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM
saves me interacting with the girlfriend so it doesn't suck that much!

If you don't like interacting with your girlfriend, perhaps it's time for a new one? Generally the interacting is the best part.

Luca_turicci
August 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I can catch flies. Does that make me zen?

It's not about catching a fly... It's what the fly stands for...

KiwiNZ
August 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
recycled two week old fish pie is not zen

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:46 PM
It's not about catching a fly... It's what the fly stands for...

The fly doesn't stand for much, maybe 7mm at the most.

schauerlich
August 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Well, I'm going to work. I'm an usher/concessions seller dude at a movie theater. Today, I get to clean up other people's stuff. Yay!

See you in 5 hours. (Short shift. :| )

Luca_turicci
August 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
ok, then flies have nothing to do with Zen.... ¬¬

Cam42
August 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I am bored. Fix this.

hyperdude111
August 16th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I want a pizza.

Luca_turicci
August 16th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Ok, Have you all seen those graffitti things that gangs spray all over the walls? well, here at my country (Mexico) it's pretty common, and usually "cholo" guys choose the must stupid and weird names, usually they don't knows the meaning of them and only choose it because "it sounds cool".

Well, i found realy funny that there's some idiot that named himself "TAR" xD. The day i find "DEB", or something like that, it'll be so funny as hell xD

Post Monkeh
August 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
If you don't like interacting with your girlfriend, perhaps it's time for a new one? Generally the interacting is the best part.
In keeping with the cryptic theme of the thread, i'll elaborate. There's interacting and there's interacting. If i can sit and use the internet, then there's no hope of interacting, and if there was any hope of interacting, then i wouldn't want to use the internet.

juancarlospaco
August 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
This is joke that i do to someone saying Ubuntu sucks several times,
to make feel her that your shiny Windows is unusefull:

I send an email, that said:

" hi,
i need that you write your name in the text file list attached and send me back this email,
thank you very much. "

an attachment:

" con.odt "

He get mad trying to do this very simple task.
:)

...and send other email saying something like

" I can't write the file, my MS Office dont open the file...
someone say to me that i need to use OpenOffice,
i installed OpenOffice but dont work, cant save the file because an strange error,
how do you do to edit these file? "

i say

" I dont know, i just double click it,
im using an old cheaper creppy PC,
and you with these 10.000 dollars notebook can't edit a simple text file? "

HermanAB
August 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM
To fly,
or not to fly,
that is the question.

koleoptero
August 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM
This is the best thread that I've seen in some months now. Keep it up.

sydbat
August 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
This is the best thread that I've seen in some months now. Keep it up.Awww...why'd ya have to go and ruin it...:P

juancarlospaco
August 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
To fly,
or not to fly,
that is the question.

Yeah, i try Flight Gear and Crashed an expensive airplane several times,
even reading Help.

:(

geekygirl
August 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM
unofficially I would like to talk about whatever but officially I found it contravened whatever I wanted to talk about....

Viva
August 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
This thread should be in the recurring discussions:p

KiwiNZ
August 17th, 2009, 01:07 AM
This thread should be in the recurring discussions:p

Oh no Deja Vu

We dont want that recurring

kevdog
August 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I'm expecting this thread to be closed in about 5 minutes since it was typical of what used to be in the backyard. In fact I'm surprised but loving that it has gone this far. :guitar:

OutOfReach
August 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Who wants pie?

Viva
August 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Oh no Deja Vu

We dont want that recurring

:lolflag:

#11u-max
August 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Who wants pie?
ME!!! I like pie!!! pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie!

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
four pages of nothing. ooh geez, i'm sure glad i stuck up for this initiative.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Well, just got back from work. Like always, it was interesting. An older man who was not quite all there in the head came in, and started trying to get my attention for some reason while I was going about my duties. He didn't have many teeth, and it was very hard to understand what he was saying (although he was speaking English). Eventually he pulled out one of those disposable cameras and took a picture of me and female coworker #1 while we were standing there doing stuff. Female coworker #2 got creeped out and walked away, and as I was going to join her, he kept calling after me. I went over to him, and he handed me the camera and stood next to coworker #1 and had me take a picture of them together. That seemed to make him happy, so he went into his movie. When I told my managers, they laughed and said I'd probably end up on the internet photoshopped onto someone else's body. Anyways, a while later, the guy came out, and kept saying about how "that was a really good movie". He managed to spill food all down the front of his shirt and was walking around with it sticking there. One of the managers recognized him on his way out. Apparently this isn't the first time he's done this.

On the plus side, none of the toilets flooded the restrooms today.

The rest of the cafe is that way --->

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM
The rest of the cafe is that way --->

i was just talking about whatever.

magmon
August 17th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Anyone used fedora 11? Im about to install it on my main laptop for the supposed better ATI support.

On a totally unrelated note, my flash drive is taking forever to eat my videos so I can move them around lol.

OutOfReach
August 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Anyone used fedora 11? Im about to install it on my main laptop for the supposed better ATI support.

On a totally unrelated note, my flash drive is taking forever to eat my videos so I can move them around lol.

Fedora 11's real nice, I love it but it wasn't really for me. I wouldn't know about the ATI support, since I have NVidia.

magmon
August 17th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Fedora 11's real nice, I love it but it wasn't really for me. I wouldn't know about the ATI support, since I have NVidia.

I envy you. What I wouldn't give for an NVidia card...

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 02:11 AM
isn't fedora more bleeding edge than ubuntu? (or, did i just imagine that?)

magmon
August 17th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I've heard it is. Ill tell you in about an hour, after dropbox syncs my stuff and I install it.

OutOfReach
August 17th, 2009, 02:15 AM
isn't fedora more bleeding edge than ubuntu? (or, did i just imagine that?)

Indeed it is, but not as much as something like Arch. But it works fairly well nonetheless, usually nothing breaks

Well I've heard that the ATI drivers were gaining ground :P

magmon
August 17th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Indeed it is, but not as much as something like Arch. But it works fairly well nonetheless, usually nothing breaks

Well I've heard that the ATI drivers were gaining ground :P

I considered arch, and if Fedora isn't all it's cracked up to be, Ill go there next.

Not for the super old cards. I have an ATI integrated 200m (possibly 300m, can never remember) card.

DeadSuperHero
August 17th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I tried OpenSUSE 11.1 today on my desktop. Pretty nice, and it seems like more of a good fit for Mono Development. (Not to say that Ubuntu isn't, it's just that One-Click Install is REALLY convenient for playing with upstream Moonlight/MonoDevelop dev packages that haven't been packaged for other distros yet)

And as odd enough as it sounds...I think I actually really like Mono/Moonlight. This coming from a person that, half a year ago, tried to remove all possible Mono-related files from my computer.

*shrug*

Five hours ago, I ate some gummy candy Mom got from Arizona in the shape of a cactus. No one bothered to tell me that this was Jalapeno flavor. At best I was expecting something that tastes like Prickly Pear Cactus Candy. (Yum!) Instead...it was Jalapeno flavor. Ouch.

OutOfReach
August 17th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I considered arch, and if Fedora isn't all it's cracked up to be, Ill go there next.

Not for the super old cards. I have an ATI integrated 200m (possibly 300m, can never remember) card.

Arch is very good as well, I stayed with it for about 7 months maybe. All you need is a bit of time and patience while setting it up, after that you're pretty much set.

HermanAB
August 17th, 2009, 02:29 AM
To fly, or not to fly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF_P77VEPKA

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
the problem with the nvidia driver 185.18.31 was the end of arch for me. i suppose i could have worked it out eventually, but i just didn't feel like it any more. being back using baboontu has been pretty pleasant. oddly, i noticed i now enjoy driving mrs. chuckaluck's car (an automatic), as well. it's like driving a huge golf cart and i think it may be actually safer in some situations (like pulling into busy traffic from an uphill side road).

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 02:44 AM
the problem with the nvidia driver 185.18.31 was the end of arch for me. i suppose i could have worked it out eventually, but i just didn't feel like it any more.

I've had similar issues, but with intel graphics cards and wireless. Linux Mint seems to handle it alright, though.

magmon
August 17th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I've had similar issues, but with intel graphics cards and wireless. Linux Mint seems to handle it alright, though.

I didn't like mint. The interface and everything is good, but I broke it twice in a four day period, once was my fault, but the other time was because the system locked during an update and I was forced to power kill the computer. This corrupted system files. I have never had this happen with ubuntu, so I decided Id go back to what works.

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 03:31 AM

i haven't tried mint, yet. i had thought about it when leaving arch. i also thought about fedora, but it seemed a little alien to me. opensuse lasted about twenty minutes.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I didn't like mint.

I've been favoring Mac OS X more lately, but I've kept Mint on my computer because it's been the one that Just Works™ with my wireless and multimonitor support issues.

i haven't tried mint, yet. i had thought about it when leaving arch. i also thought about fedora, but it seemed a little alien to me. opensuse lasted about twenty minutes.

I don't have much experience with RPM/RHEL based distros. I've tried OpenSuSE too, and liked it.

jimrz
August 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM

yeah well, nothing is what you make of it ... just ask Jerry Sienfeld

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:40 AM
yeah, well nothing is what you make of it ... just ask Jerry Sienfeld

I've never watched that show, but everyone always says it's good.

jimrz
August 17th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I've never watched that show, but everyone always says it's good.

that it was ....... and it was about "nothing"

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
that it was ....... and it was about "nothing"

Except Jerry Seinfeld.

DeadSuperHero
August 17th, 2009, 03:56 AM
It's interesting how far television has fallen from grace. Other than Battlestar Galactica and Warehouse 13, or a movie, I can't find any reason to sit in front of a television and just blankly watch.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 04:01 AM
It's interesting how far television has fallen from grace. Other than Battlestar Galactica and Warehouse 13, or a movie, I can't find any reason to sit in front of a television and just blankly watch.

I have a few shows that I follow. I'm usually too lazy to watch them on time, so I record them and watch them at my leisure. The Daily Show/The Colbert Report are two favorites.

Also: I updated the OP with a list of topics covered.

OutOfReach
August 17th, 2009, 04:03 AM

True, in fact, I only watch TV a few times a week. Some shows I do like, I admit. But everything else is....uninteresting.

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 04:06 AM
do any of you watch current-tv? http://current.com/
mrs. chuckaluck calls it the ADD channel. i watch it a lot. there's some good stuff on there (and of course, tons of poo). i also watch a lot of sports and cooking shows.

edit: sample of current - http://current.com/items/76376622_deep-fried-scotland.htm

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2009, 04:13 AM

I actually just installed it last night. I'm liking it so far. The default Nautilus is minimal and very annoying. Easy fix, though. Just go to (I think, I'm on W7 right now) Tools -> Preferences -> Behaviour, and check the box that says something about acting like a browser.

I'm glad to be rid of the yucky orange and brown, and it seems more polished in a lot of ways. Nice GRUB, nice loading screens, nice loading flying thing around the mouse when you click things. And all topped off by a cool, relaxing blue theme.

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
True, in fact, I only watch TV a few times a week. Some shows I do like, I admit. But everything else is....uninteresting.

I actually don't watch TV at all. I can't find a reason to leave the computer. I think I might get a TV Tuner card and watch TV every once in a long while that way...

juancarlospaco
August 17th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I think I might get a TV Tuner card and watch TV every once in a long while that way...

+1
I got one.

lisati
August 17th, 2009, 05:05 AM
+1
I got one.

Got one for my desktop: hardly ever use it except for when I want to monitor a DVD recorder/VCR combo that I'm using to transfer a tape to DVD
Also got one for my laptop but haven't really used it much.

phrostbyte
August 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I like beer. :!:

Anyone else like beer?

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I think I might get a TV Tuner card and watch TV every once in a long while that way...

Isn't that what torrents are for? :)

Tipped OuT
August 17th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Isn't that what torrents are for? :)

Isn't that what going to Wal-Mart and stealing movies, are for?

lisati
August 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Anyone else like beer?

Steinlager was one of my poisons "back in the day"

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Isn't that going to Wal-Mart and stealing movies, are for?

You wouldn't download a car

phrostbyte
August 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM
You wouldn't download a car

OH HELL YES I WOULD!

I wish BitTorrent worked for physical objects. :) Maybe one day.

DeadSuperHero
August 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Anyone else like beer?

I'm a whiskey man myself, but I love a good, dark ale. Newcastle is a particular favorite of mine, although I'll also settle for a Sam Adams. If I'm really desperate or eating Mexican food, Corona.

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Anyone else like beer?

Nope. Just don't have a taste for it. I prefer various wines and champagnes.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Nope. Just don't have a taste for it.

I don't really have a taste for any alcohol.

DeadSuperHero
August 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM
In other news, I'm being harassed viciously by email from several different people for several different reasons.

Suggestions?

toupeiro
August 17th, 2009, 07:17 AM
wow.. its OMGPP a.k.a. this whole forum sub-section in a thread.

How ... redundant?

OutOfReach
August 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM

How ... redundant?

...yet convenient.

toupeiro
August 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM
lol if you say so.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM

How is it the backyard? The cafe and BY were both for random chatter, the backyard was just for more controversial stuff. This isn't for controversial stuff, it's just random chatter. Therefore, I win. :)

ugm6hr
August 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
In other news, I'm being harassed viciously by email from several different people for several different reasons.

Suggestions?

Set filters to send them back as user unknown. I'm sure it can be done.

Or fill your email box with junk, so it rejects everything new.

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM
How is it the backyard? The cafe and BY were both for random chatter, the backyard was just for more controversial stuff. This isn't for controversial stuff, it's just random chatter. Therefore, I win. :)

:) .niw I ,eroferehT .tettahc modnar tsuj s'ti ,ffuts laisrevortnoc rof t'nsi sihT .ffuts laisrevortnoc erom rof tsuj saw draykcab eht ,rettahc modnar rof htob erew YB dna efac ehT ?draykcab eht ti si woH

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 07:58 AM
:) .niw I ,eroferehT .tettahc modnar tsuj s'ti ,ffuts laisrevortnoc rof t'nsi sihT .ffuts laisrevortnoc erom rof tsuj saw draykcab eht ,rettahc modnar rof htob erew YB dna efac ehT ?draykcab eht ti si woH

cat /uf/posts/Sinkingships7/779939 | rev

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
My sleep schedule has gotten really messed up lately. I got back from a trip to Malaysia a few weeks ago, and instead of adjusting to a normal schedule and catching up on sleep, I just stayed up until 4am every night and sleep until noon.

Sinkingships7
August 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
My sleep schedule has gotten really messed up lately. I got back from a trip to Malaysia a few weeks ago, and instead of adjusting to a normal schedule and catching up on sleep, I just stayed up until 4am every night and sleep until noon.

I'm in the same-ish situation. Except I've never been to Malaysia. I've just been staying up until 6-7am for some reason. But I don't need much sleep so it's not cutting into my days too much.

EDIT: Technically there's a reason. I have DSPS.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I'm in the same-ish situation. Except I've never been to Malaysia. I've just been staying up until 6-7am for some reason. But I don't need much sleep so it's not cutting into my days too much.

EDIT: Technically there's a reason. I have DSPS.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

Yeah, it's usually not a problem, unless I have to work the next day, like the past two nights. Then it gets annoying.

Post Monkeh
August 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Anyone else like beer?

i've always been a beer man, but i've been getting into wine recently. i had 3 bottles last night and my head isn't even sore, it's great.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
i had 3 bottles last night and my head isn't even sore, it's great.

Over how long? :|

Post Monkeh
August 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Over how long? :|

from around 7pm until i went to bed at around 1.30. i'm off today so i thought i'd make the most of it

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
from around 7pm until i went to bed at around 1.30. i'm off today so i thought i'd make the most of it

Oh, well, I guess that's not horrible then.

Post Monkeh
August 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Oh, well, I guess that's not horrible then.
lol was i on my way to a lecture over the perils of binge drinking there?

i drink quite a lot anyway, normally have a beer or two most nights, except when i'm on call. the reason i had so much is that i'm only getting into wine and am currently in a phase of having to try all the different kinds to see what they're like.
2 of the 3 bottles i drank yesterday were actually the girlfriend's dad's, i'll have to replace them today or he won't finish putting the floors down in our bedrooms lol.

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
i can't drink wine anymore. i drink too fast and get too drunk. once you get used to the lack of taste in that miller 64cal. stuff, it's not bad (great after doing hill sprints in the carolina sun). now, my arm gets tired before i get drunk.

RiceMonster
August 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Deer god. I GET UP at 6am every day for work and I'm out of the house before 7am! Do you work or go to school or anything?

Post Monkeh
August 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
i drink beer fast because it's cold.
the reason i'm liking wine is that it isn't as easy to drink a glass of wine in one go as it is to neck a bottle of beer.
i hate getting drunk, but i love alcohol. go figure :D

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Deer god. I GET UP at 6am every day for work and I'm out of the house before 7am! Do you work or go to school or anything?

Hey, it's 6am right now! I should probably go to sleep.

I work, but my job doesn't entail getting up early. I work at a movie theater, so most shifts start in the afternoon or late morning at the earliest. I don't leave for school until the end of september.

Yeah, I realize you weren't talking to me, but that's beside the point.

RiceMonster
August 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hey, it's 6am right now! I should probably go to sleep.

I work, but my job doesn't entail getting up early. I work at a movie theater, so most shifts start in the afternoon or late morning at the earliest. I don't leave for school until the end of september.

Yeah, I realize you weren't talking to me, but that's beside the point.

Ah I see. The latest (or earliest, better said) I've ever stayed up was 5 am. However, that was because I was out with my friends. I don't plan on doing that again. That's overkill for me.

Post Monkeh
August 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Ah I see. The latest (or earliest, better said) I've ever stayed up was 5 am. However, that was because I was out with my friends. I don't plan on doing that again. That's overkill for me.

back in the day when i left school and didn't work, i regularly sat up until the next morning playing championship manager.

i've also stayed out partying until the next day on more than one occasion, getting a bit old for that now though.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM

I've just not slept and gone for 36 hours straight. Not fun, but it's possible.

forrestcupp
August 17th, 2009, 02:25 PM

˙qoou ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ `sıɥʇ ǝʞıl ǝʇıɹʍ uɐɔ noʎ ssǝlun ˙ʞɐǝʍ ʎʇʇǝɹd s,ʇɐɥʇ

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
˙qoou ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ `sıɥʇ ǝʞıl ǝʇıɹʍ uɐɔ noʎ ssǝlun ˙ʞɐǝʍ ʎʇʇǝɹd s,ʇɐɥʇ

qnʇ ı ɔɐu po ʇɥǝɯ qoʇɥ' so ı,ɯ ǝʌǝu ɔoo1ǝɹ.

forrestcupp
August 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
qnʇ ı ɔɐu po ʇɥǝɯ qoʇɥ' so ı,ɯ ǝʌǝu ɔoo1ǝɹ.

ı ʍɐs ʇɥıuʞıuƃ ɐqonʇ poıuƃ ıʇ ʇɥɐʇ ʍɐʎ` qnʇ ı pıpu,ʇ ʇɥıuʞ ıʇ looʞǝp ɐs ɔool˙

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
ı ʍɐs ʇɥıuʞıuƃ ɐqonʇ poıuƃ ıʇ ʇɥɐʇ ʍɐʎ` qnʇ ı pıpu,ʇ ʇɥıuʞ ıʇ looʞǝp ɐs ɔool˙

It's okay, when you're as cool as I am, you can get away with it.

Sand & Mercury
August 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hey guys what's going on?

I'm sad. I have less than 2 weeks to go till I return to Australia.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm sad. I have less than 2 weeks to go till I return to Australia.

What were you doing outside of Australia?

geekygirl
August 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
dont be too sad...I have only 194 days till I leave Australia for the US :p

hehehehe

MikeTheC
August 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Yeah! Get back in your cave, slave!

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah! Get back in your cave, slave!

Well, the Poms did send them there for a reason...

geekygirl
August 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Well, the Poms did send them there for a reason...

they only sent us here because they were sick of us beating them at their own games all the time...cricket...rugby.....fat lot of good that did them....hehehehe

*edit: then again we could mention that the only reason they sent us here was because you lot in the US were not taking anymore rubbish from Old Blighty so they had to find another continent to store their bread thieves :P

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
t*edit: then again we could mention that the only reason they sent us here was because you lot in the US were not taking anymore rubbish from Old Blighty so they had to find another continent to store their bread thieves :P

You could stand to learn a thing or two.

forrestcupp
August 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
*edit: then again we could mention that the only reason they sent us here was because you lot in the US were not taking anymore rubbish from Old Blighty so they had to find another continent to store their bread thieves :P

Yeah, well they sent us to the Americas because we came up with the real game of Football, and they couldn't handle it so they wanted to keep playing soccer. :)

geekygirl
August 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
You could stand to learn a thing or two.

did I mention I am coming to the US in 194 days? :P...oh I am learning a few things alright hehehe

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
did I mention I am coming to the US in 194 days?

What for?

geekygirl
August 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
What for?

to spend what little time I have over there with a very special person :P

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM
to spend what little time I have over there with a very special person :P

Ah. Sounds like a plan, then.

Sand & Mercury
August 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Living with my gf, who's Romanian. Unfortunately our relationship fell through a month ago and so I'm going home. I won't miss a whole lot about Ro (though it is a nice country with some beautiful landscapes), but I'll miss her. :(

Post Monkeh
August 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, well they sent us to the Americas because we came up with the real game of Football, and they couldn't handle it so they wanted to keep playing soccer. :)

trust the americans to call a game predominantly played using the hands "football" :P

Stan_1936
August 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM

I watch the sport and, to be honest, if the sport was named dog-tiger-cat, I would still watch it. I find sports names to be irrelevant in determining whether or not I will watch a sport. I also find people who try to make a big deal out of a sport's name to be, for the most part, clueless about the sport.

And those people can go you know where......

forrestcupp
August 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
trust the americans to call a game predominantly played using the hands "football" :P

Tell that to the place kicker and the punter. ;)

Besides, we call it football because the ball is shaped like a foot, not because we use our feet. :D

If I humble myself, I guess I can concede that maybe it should have been originally called something else. But it's still a heck of a sport though, despite the name.

I can't believe it's already pre-season time in the NFL!

MikeTheC
August 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
What is also interesting (although primarily to non-U.S. citizens) is that you can take most of the most famous athletes from other countries -- athletes who would be recognizable the world over -- and they would be largely unknown to the citizens of this country.

Go grab an Australian, a Vietnamese, a South African, a Columbian, a Ukrainian, an Italian, a Croatian, a Briton, and ask any of them who the most famous athletes are in Cricket or Soccer "Football" are, and odds are they can easily rattle off five or six or more players. Ask the same of any of us Americans and, odds are, none of us can give you the name of anyone in either of those sports.

Tipped OuT
August 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
This is hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpLHnNHSY-A&feature=related

If that doesn't make you laugh, you have no sense of humor.

Post Monkeh
August 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
What is also interesting (although primarily to non-U.S. citizens) is that you can take most of the most famous athletes from other countries -- athletes who would be recognizable the world over -- and they would be largely unknown to the citizens of this country.

Go grab an Australian, a Vietnamese, a South African, a Columbian, a Ukrainian, an Italian, a Croatian, a Briton, and ask any of them who the most famous athletes are in Cricket or Soccer "Football" are, and odds are they can easily rattle off five or six or more players. Ask the same of any of us Americans and, odds are, none of us can give you the name of anyone in either of those sports.

likewise, ask any of them who the top stars are in football of the american persuasion, and most of them couldn't even name you one.

not really a massive fan of cricket myself mind you, but i could name you more cricketers from australia than i could american football players in the entire nfl.
that's not to say i dislike the game, it's just not really my thing. i can see the attraction, it's certainly exciting when it gets going, there's just too many stoppages for my liking.

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
This is hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpLHnNHSY-A&feature=related

If that doesn't make you laugh, you have no sense of humor.

not real - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_De_Gloria

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM

cricket has stars?!?

MikeTheC
August 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
cricket has stars?!?

So I'm told. However, as I don't normally sit in the bar at my favorite local British pub, I wouldn't happen to know who they are, either. ;)

Tipped OuT
August 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
not real - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_De_Gloria

Aww you had to ruin the fun. :P

MikeTheC
August 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
The best part about this thread is it's strictly low-carb, low-cal and excellent for people who are diabetic, nursing, pregnant or who may become pregnant.

Tipped OuT
August 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
The best part about this thread is it's strictly low-carb, low-cal and excellent for people who are diabetic, nursing, pregnant or who may become pregnant.

Wah...

RiceMonster
August 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Screw this, I'm moving to the greasy-butter-filled thread. Where can I find that?

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Aww you had to ruin the fun. :P

sorry, old bean.

SuperSonic4
August 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
How much wood could chucky chuckaluck chuck if chucky chuckaluck could chuck wood

RiceMonster
August 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
how much wood could chucky chuckaluck chuck if chucky chuckaluck could chuck wood

>9000

MikeTheC
August 17th, 2009, 08:22 PM
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/sense-darth-vader-demotivational-poster1.jpg

Tipped OuT
August 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/sense-darth-vader-demotivational-poster1.jpg

That picture makes no sense. Why is he dressed up as Darth Vader? Why is he pouring water into another water jug when he's surrounded by water.. what the hell..

MikeTheC
August 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
From The "How To Bench Press A Motorcycle" Department:

http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/motorcycles-youre-doing-it-wrong-demotivational-poster.jpg

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM

American football and soccer both originated from the same game, called football. Once people from Rugby started picking up the ball and running with it, that branch of the sport became knows as Rugby Football, with the nickname for participants being "Ruggers". American Football split off of Rugby later, and retained the term "football". The name "soccer" derived from "traditional" football being know as "Association football", and its participants being named "soccers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)

chucky chuckaluck
August 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM
How much wood could chucky chuckaluck chuck if chucky chuckaluck could chuck wood

i vigorously eschew chucking.

SoftwareExplorer
August 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
To fly,
or not to fly,
that is the question.
Depends on the landing.

ME!!! I like pie!!! pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie, pie!
You mean 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097...?

Would that include a few dollars? (or euros, yen, what have you)

I wish BitTorrent worked for physical objects. :) Maybe one day.[/quote]
Big +1

That picture makes no sense. Why is he dressed up as Darth Vader? Why is he pouring water into another water jug when he's surrounded by water.. what the hell..
It's quite simple really (other than the darth vader). He's just filtered some water to drink from all the water around him and is trying to pour it into something to drink from.

schauerlich
August 17th, 2009, 11:37 PM

I feel like I should be able to make an innuendo out of that, but it's not coming to me.

geekygirl
August 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM

I feel like I should be able to make an innuendo out of that, but it's not coming to me.

how about...

"I vigourously chew chuck" ?

BinaryFeast
August 18th, 2009, 12:46 AM
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097...?At one point in life one will eventually get the idea to memorize the decimals of pi. I managed to remember around 70 or 80 of them for a couple of weeks without any special techique. Then I got bored. What's your score?

schauerlich
August 18th, 2009, 12:56 AM
At one point in life one will eventually get the idea to memorize the decimals of pi. I managed to remember around 70 or 80 of them for a couple of weeks without any special techique. Then I got bored. What's your score?

Just memorize it to the Feynman point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_point) and call it a day.

MikeTheC
August 18th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Just memorize it to the Feynman point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_point) and call it a day.
Oh, I've already delegated that.

schauerlich
August 18th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Oh, I've already delegated that.

To whom?

Sinkingships7
August 18th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Used to. Man, that was hell. I'd always fall asleep in class. I actually just graduated from high school, so enjoying it while I can. I am enrolled in college, so yeah.

MikeTheC
August 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
To whom?
Look, I told you the other day you're supposed to read *all* the memos that get put on your desk, not just the ones from the cute Ubuntu chicks! :p

Stan_1936
August 18th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Degeneration-X is back on Monday Night RAW!!!
<----RAWR...RAWR.....
Break it Down....

schauerlich
August 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Look, I told you the other day you're supposed to read *all* the memos that get put on your desk, not just the ones from the cute Ubuntu chicks! :p

There are no women on the internet.

in before "Joanna, fire."

Mad Hacker
August 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM
never mind that, there's no more internet!
http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

j.bell730
August 18th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Huh. Deer God? Is that another name for Artemis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis), perhaps?

schauerlich
August 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Anyone here play Urban Terror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Terror)? It's a Quake 3 based free FPS that I like to play with my friends on a private server.

Ichimonji10
August 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Haha, Mad Hacker, is no internet or no women on the internet scarier, huh?

EDavidBurg: No, don't play Urban Terror myself. Only free FPS I ever really got into for a while was Tremulous.

I figure this is better than starting a whole new thread, so:
THANK YOU Ubuntu...

-for being the only OS that will work on my broken-down, barely running desktop computer
-for making it so easy for me to create a bootable flash drive (now I can run linux on my netbook)
-for being free. Otherwise, I would have ended my "career" in computers long ago and chosen to study a different field entirely.

That is all.

RiceMonster
August 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Huh. Deer God? Is that another name for Artemis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis), perhaps?

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted, but I just left it :p.

Stan_1936
August 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
There are no women on the internet.

in before "Joanna, fire."

What?

Yes
August 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
What?

I would assume he's talking about http://xkcd.com/322/

schauerlich
August 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
What?

I would assume he's talking about http://xkcd.com/322/

That's the one.

I love me some xkcd.

FuturePilot
August 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Anyone here play Urban Terror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Terror)? It's a Quake 3 based free FPS that I like to play with my friends on a private server.

I do, but I think you already knew that.

schauerlich
August 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I do, but I think you already knew that.

You hit FuFuPilot in the helmet for 51% damage.
FuFuPilot slowed down EDavidBurg's SR-8 round just a little bit.

FuturePilot
August 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
FuFuPilot slowed down EDavidBurg's SR-8 round just a little bit.

:((((((((

sadface

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Trying to explain the plot to District 9 in Russian is very difficult, especially if your knowledge of the Russian language is as limited as mine.

schauerlich
August 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Trying to explain the plot to District 9 in Russian is very difficult, especially if your knowledge of the Russian language is as limited as mine.

Mine is pretty much limited to "Da" and "Comrade!"

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Mine is pretty much limited to "Da" and "Comrade!"

Comrade isn't a Russian word...

t0p
August 19th, 2009, 02:47 AM
It's quite simple really (other than the darth vader).

But that's the whole point. If he wasn't Darth Vader we wouldn't care about the jugs.

(Fnaarr Fnaarr! I said "jugs"!)

magmon
August 19th, 2009, 02:48 AM
So I finally got around to installing fedora 11, and I have to say, it's pretty sweet. One thing I don't like though is installing restricted drivers. You have to know what you're looking for.

schauerlich
August 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Comrade isn't a Russian word...

It's Russian enough for me.

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2009, 03:19 AM
It's Russian enough for me.

Не заставляйте меня сбросить Царь-бомбу на вас.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Tsar_photo11.jpg

tom66
August 19th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I declare spaghettios to be The Nation's Favourite™.

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2009, 03:27 AM

My mom never bought Spaghettios when I was little. She always bought Chef Boyardee ABC's 123's.

Tamalin
August 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM
My mom never bought Spaghettios when I was little. She always bought Chef Boyardee ABC's 123's.

It would be very interesting to know how many on these forums experienced this sort of "educationally centered" childhood?

Sinkingships7
August 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM

I'm sorry. :[

You truly missed out.

RiceMonster
August 19th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Uh oh!

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I'm sorry. :[

You truly missed out.

I've eaten Spaghettios. They taste exactly the same. The only difference is that Spaghettios have an extreme bias against the other 25 letters of the alphabet.

RiceMonster
August 19th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I don't think they have spaghettios in Canada, but they have alphagetti, which is gross to the max. Never liked it.

Sinkingships7
August 19th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I've eaten Spaghettios. They taste exactly the same. The only difference is that Spaghettios have an extreme bias against the other 25 letters of the alphabet.

... You're right. This is an outrage. :-x

schauerlich
August 19th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Не заставляйте меня сбросить Царь-бомбу на вас.

Нет Вы.

JillSwift
August 19th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Нет Вы.
Да, товарищ.

KiwiNZ
August 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Can we please keep this to English

Thanks

MikeTheC
August 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Да, товарищ.
Это - глубокая мысль.

Thanks
Oh, alright. If we must... *sigh* :p

SoftwareExplorer
August 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Thanks

Instead of telling people to just go google it, now we should tell them to go translate.google.com it.

KiwiNZ
August 19th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Это - глубокая мысль.

I will have to open one of these

geekygirl
August 19th, 2009, 05:17 AM

I want one of those for work...can I borrow this one?

schauerlich
August 19th, 2009, 11:19 AM
My Diablo II addiction is coming back. Just spent about 4 hours straight playing.

tom66
August 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I divided by zero, and I regret it.

Tristam Green
August 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM

So that's what happened to my time-space continuum.

I thought I'd just misplaced it.

geekygirl
August 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
http://halshop.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/phpw9jvl0pm.jpg

chucky chuckaluck
August 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM

shouldn't that be a can of "whoop asterisks"?

Tristam Green
August 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
shouldn't that be a can of "whoop asterisks"?

Whoop-{at sign, dollar sign, dollar sign}, I think!

JillSwift
August 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Это - глубокая мысль.That is my favorite computer, after all.

>.>

Stan_1936
August 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Once again.......

.........en Anglais, S'il Vous plait!

RiceMonster
August 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Once again.......

Non, en Francais s'il vous plait!

Actually, don't. My French is horrendous.

JillSwift
August 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Once again.......

I know my English is poor, but jeez.

Post Monkeh
August 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
American football and soccer both originated from the same game, called football. Once people from Rugby started picking up the ball and running with it, that branch of the sport became knows as Rugby Football, with the nickname for participants being "Ruggers". American Football split off of Rugby later, and retained the term "football". The name "soccer" derived from "traditional" football being know as "Association football", and its participants being named "soccers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)

thanks for that.

SoftwareExplorer
August 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Whenever I try to divide by zero, my brain screams infinity, but thats not right. Plus (pun somewhat intended) if that was the case, would 0/0=infinity?

schauerlich
August 20th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Whenever I try to divide by zero, my brain screams infinity, but thats not right. Plus (pun somewhat intended) if that was the case, would 0/0=infinity?

0/0 can equal infinity when limits are involved.

-grubby
August 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
0/0 can equal infinity when limits are involved.

Python doesn't agree:

>>> 0/0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

schauerlich
August 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Python doesn't agree:

>>> 0/0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

Python didn't use limits.

-grubby
August 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Python didn't use limits.

[09:24:41] <grubby> ~well it should be
[09:24:42] <Lawnbot> PROBABLY

^^

schauerlich
August 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
[09:24:41] <grubby> ~well it should be
[09:24:42] <Lawnbot> PROBABLY

^^

Don't you go using p_quarles' lawn against me.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_(mathematics)

Or more specifically:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_(mathematics)#L.27H.C3.B4pital.27s_rule

Giant Speck
August 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
My bicycle was stolen today. :(

DeadSuperHero
August 22nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
Aw bummer, GS. I was carjacked once, so I know how you feel.

MikeTheC
August 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
What if you raised 1/0 to the 0 power? Wouldn't it then equal 1?

chucky chuckaluck
August 22nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
anyone else watch 'ghost whisperer'?

schauerlich
August 22nd, 2009, 03:23 AM
What if you raised 1/0 to the 0 power? Wouldn't it then equal 1?

You can't raise an undefined to any power.

Giant Speck
August 22nd, 2009, 04:08 AM
Aw bummer, GS. I was carjacked once, so I know how you feel.

It sucks, but I should have known better than leave my bike unlocked in a city. I lost the bike, a helmet, a bike computer and a basket. All in all, I lost a total of about $400 worth of stuff.

I went and bought a new bike, though! :D

Sinkingships7
August 22nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
I just watched Office Space for the first time two days ago. I couldn't see what all the hype was about, and yet I've watched it two more times since then. Guess it's just one of those movies.

chucky chuckaluck
August 22nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
i'm very sore and mrs. chuckaluck hid my bourbon on me (ha! i hid her wine and i still had tons o' beer in the fridge).

MikeTheC
August 22nd, 2009, 05:38 AM
I just watched Office Space for the first time two days ago. I couldn't see what all the hype was about, and yet I've watched it two more times since then. Guess it's just one of those movies.

I didn't watch it until long after I'd left my job at Sony (that is, a telephone tech rep "office" job) and I saw so many of my co-workers and/or bosses in the characters of that movie that it simply wasn't funny.

However, the movie was for me extremely funny. If you don't get it, then you don't have the right frame of reference (or you haven't worked in any meaningful job yet).

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM
This thread is for general chat; things that are too short for a regular thread go here. If you want to just hang around and chat, that's fine too. So, without further ado, I declare this chat thread OPEN!

-Ericson

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1241896

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Oh, so I see... it's too bad that thread's been dead for over four months.

Maybe we can merge these two and revive it?

audiomick
February 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM

yeah, but that one hasn't moved since last August! ;)

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I'm reviving this in light of this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1407616) thread. :)

phillychease
chat chat

schauerlich
yeah, but that one hasn't moved since last August! ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8830707&postcount=205

Now it has! :)

Giant Speck
February 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'm reviving this in light of this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1407616) thread. :)

Yeah, right. You revived it to cause mischief. ADMIT IT!

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, right. You revived it to cause mischief. ADMIT IT!

I made you a mischief but I eated it.

So, how's it going, guys?

Giant Speck
February 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Have you ever been at the grocery store and discovered a new food that you haven't tried before, and you only buy a small quantity in case you don't like it, so that you don't feel guilty for spending so much money on it? But then it turns out that you indeed do like this new food and you feel stupid for not buying more?

I found a new type of apple I like.

http://www.bctree.com/images/photos/apples-ambrosia.jpg

It's an Ambrosia apple. I'm not really a fan of sub-acid apples, but this cultivar is firm, crisp, and delightfully sweet, with a taste that's like a cross between a pear and a Red Delicious. It's pretty good.

cariboo907
February 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Threads merged

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Is it just me or does that sticker look 'shopped?

Giant Speck
February 15th, 2010, 07:42 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

I guess they were too cheap to take a picture of the apple themselves, so they went on google images and shopped their brand onto it or something.

Giant Speck
February 15th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I guess they were too cheap to take a picture of the apple themselves, so they went on google images and shopped their brand onto it or something.

That, or they were too cheap to make actual stickers, so they took a picture of the apple and then shopped their brand onto it.

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM
That, or they were too cheap to make actual stickers, so they took a picture of the apple and then shopped their brand onto it.

Or they just drew the entire apple in paint, and then shopped the sticker onto it, and there's really no such thing as an Ambrosia Apple.

FuturePilot
February 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM

Judging by the loss of quality from the jpeg compression and the high clarity of the sticker definitely shopped. Not to mention it has some weird shadow thing going on there.

Also, now I want apples :|

ElSlunko
February 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM
My parents just got a juicer and have been going crazy with it all morning. My dad said "try this" and I did without asking what was in it. Celery & apple. BLECH! I can still taste the celery when I burp.

Giant Speck
February 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
My parents just got a juicer and have been going crazy with it all morning. My dad said "try this" and I did without asking what was in it. Celery & apple. BLECH! I can still taste the celery when I burp.

Ew... what an awful combination. If you're going to add vegetables to fruit juice, you should use more neutral-flavored vegetables, like spinach or something.

audiomick
February 15th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Judging by the loss of quality from the jpeg compression and the high clarity of the sticker definitely shopped. Not to mention it has some weird shadow thing going on there.

We've got some nice Fujis from lake Constance here...;)

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM

This looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my day.

thatguruguy
February 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Speaking of apples, here's a tasty recipe of pork chops with apples:

Ingredients:
4 pork chops (I used boneless) about 1/2"-3/4" thick.
1 large or 2 small-medium onions (I used 1 large Vidalia onion)
1 large or 2 medium apples (I used 2 small-to-medium yellow delicious)
Dijon mustard
seasoned salt
fresh-ground pepper
cooking oil
vermouth (or dry white cooking wine, if you prefer it)

Season the pork chops with some fresh-ground pepper and seasoned salt (just a pinch; you don't want them to end up too tough) and coat them with dijon mustard. Then put them in a zip-lock and place them in the refrigerator. Leave them in there for at least an hour.

When it's time to cook, heat some oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until hot. While the oil is heating, cut up the onion and the apples, leaving the skin on the apples. (I cut each apple into 16 pieces, because it's easy.) Then dump the onions and apples into the pan and cook them for 2-3 minutes while stirring until the onions start to look cooked (by which I mean they start turning translucent; you'll know it when you see it). Remove the apples and most of the onions from the pan, place in a bowl and set them aside.

After adding another tablespoon (give or take) of oil to the pan, put the pork chops in. If you want, you can season them a little more with some more pepper as they sit in the pan. Cook them until done (approximately 4 minutes per side), turning after 4 mintues.

When the chops were done, turn the heat down to low and put the apples and onions back in. Throw in a splash of vermouth (if desired), cover the pan, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes (turning the chops and stirring everything at the half-way point).

Serve with mashed potatoes. Seriously good chops.

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Serve with mashed potatoes. Seriously good chops.

:O that sounds delicious. Do want!

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Don't look a Monkey in the eye

and never come second in a race with a Lion

schauerlich
February 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Don't look a Monkey in the eye

and never come second in a race with a Lion

But fry the lion up with some onions and apples...

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
But fry the lion up with some onions and apples...

True , but you can catch it, i'm busy:p

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Question, to make a bootable flash drive, would it be easier to move my /boot, /, and /home folders manually, or make it from an ISO?

thatguruguy
February 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Question, to make a bootable flash drive, would it be easier to move my /boot, /, and /home folders manually, or make it from an ISO?

Make it from an ISO. I find that the USB Startup Disk Creator in the System >> Administration menu works fairly well.

EDIT: serve with mashed potatoes.

audiomick
February 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Make it from an ISO. I find that the USB Startup Disk Creator in the System >> Administration menu works fairly well.

EDIT: serve with mashed potatoes.
The USB or the ISO?

Woolio1
February 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Bump

Satoru-san
February 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Yay, I just got 2 more like 3.5 hours of sleep this morning, and none last night, I went to sleep too early the night before.

Well off to help some newbies.:KS

JDShu
February 15th, 2010, 11:04 PM

My dad does this too. I think he puts some milk in it as well to make it thicker.

audiomick
February 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
My de-facto father in law took a heap of apples from his backyard tree off to get juiced this year. We got about 10 litres of it, and it was FANTASTIC! Hope he does it again next year.:p

Sporkman
February 16th, 2010, 12:26 AM
My de-facto father in law took a heap of apples from his backyard tree off to get juiced this year. We got about 10 litres of it, and it was FANTASTIC! Hope he does it again next year.:p

How does he do the juicing? I've seen cider made by having apples pressed in a giant corkscrew-driven vice-thingy before...

MasterNetra
February 16th, 2010, 12:32 AM
http://hickfarm.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/sniper-cat.jpg

Nuff said.

audiomick
February 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
How does he do the juicing? I've seen cider made by having apples pressed in a giant corkscrew-driven vice-thingy before...
I didn't see the machine, but it was probably similar to what you described.

The deal is, there is someone who has the machinery on a trailer. He advertises where he is going to be, and you bring along your apples.
They go through the press, and you get the juice back in what are called "casks" in Australia; that is the type of cardboard box with a plastic bladder inside with a tap on it that you sometimes see wine in. The advantage is that the contents never come into contact with air, so it lasts for ages.
The bloke with the the machinery charges a couple of Euros a litre for not much work, and you get your juice nicely packaged up in a way that lasts a while. Everyone wins...;)

SoftwareExplorer
February 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Tell them to try apples and a lemon/lime or two.

audiomick
February 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Tell them to try apples and a lemon/lime or two.
That sounds good too...;)

Sporkman
February 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Carrots are good for juicing, too.

Tristam Green
February 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I watched "Ghost in the Shell" for the first time last night. Awesome flick.

Giant Speck
February 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have Honey Nut Cheerios!

deep.tinker77
February 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Mass Effect 2 is an awesome game :popcorn:

thatguruguy
February 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I watched "Ghost in the Shell" for the first time last night. Awesome flick.

"Inner Universe" by Yoko Kanno (the "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" theme) kicks ... something.

forrestcupp
February 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm not the fig plucker nor the fig plucker's son, but I'll pluck figs till the fig plucker comes.

schauerlich
February 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I'm not the fig plucker nor the fig plucker's son, but I'll pluck figs till the fig plucker comes.

...that's what she said?

KiwiNZ
February 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
...that's what she said?

But not after a few cocktails and shooters ;)