PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] seeking out some help with a potential refund?

krupintupple
August 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
hey all,

just purchased a new laptop from acer and (after i got ubuntu on it) I am in love with how fast it runs just about everything i need. unfortunately, it came from a big box store, and was pre-installed with that Vista™ OS - a system i had no intention of using. i turn on the machine and naturally refuse the Vista EULA, and am told by said EULA to contact acer for a refund for the OS.

however, i have done so and they have said, i quote:

Dear XXX XXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. I’ll be happy to assist you with this refund issue. As per the serial number your system is in warranty.

Please note that we do not have the provision for providing refund for this kind of issues.

to which i replied this isn't a 'kind of issue' this is me legally refusing the Vista EULA; i've since spoken with Microsoft and they explained that the deal is between acer and myself and i am indeed entitled to a refund.

so, after all of that has been said, does anyone have any ideas for what i could, or possibly should do next? thanks!

pastalavista
August 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Here is one site I read recently that might help

http://equiliberate.org/?q=node/3

krupintupple
August 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM
thanks for an excellent read, pasta.

i've since replied via email and in a calm manner, patiently explained that i do not agree with the vista EULA, and that microsoft told me that acer was responsible. reading through that post only strengthened my resolve, so i really doubt that i'm going to back down on this issue - why should i pay for something i don't want, and have legally refused?

i've been told i can speak with a "level 2" technician, so hopefully they don't think that it's an OS issue and ask me to try to reinstall via the backup partition...

pastalavista
August 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I just kick myself when I think of all the Windows EULA's I've agreed to in the past. I bought my son a Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed. He didn't like it because he's so much smarter than me. ;) I gave him my Vista and told him he was on on his own getting the drivers because my Vista disk came with my Acer. He got it working but soon got fed up with Vista in general and put Ubuntu back on it. Now he 's using Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchBanglinux.org/), which makes him cooler than me again. :D

markbuntu
August 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Take their registered agent to small claims court. Every corporation has a registered agent to handle their legal issues. Find out who it is and sue them in small claims court.
If they don't show up you win. If they do show up you win.
It always works.