PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia, some kind of soft reset

briantoumbs
August 15th, 2009, 06:22 AM
This may be a dumb question, every time I try to install Nvidia graphics drivers at some point I end up having to try to remove all of them and try to reinstall. I have been to most of the main search results on different ways to install them, tried just stopping Xserver and using sh NVIDiA... following the on screen instructions then rebooting. tried using Envy. But every time not always right away my screen will go to a really large resolution and will make it nearly impossible to get it back to normal.

I got it to work one time and have it stay working, I think I compiled a new kernel, and I think there was something about gcc in one of the commands. If that makes any sense to anyone that would help me out a lot to know what I had done.

I recently installed 9.04, I noticed before it didn't detect my Acer monitor, and gave me a weird not standard resolution. I went a head and installed the nvidia drivers and it stuck me at a low resolution. I was able to open the nvidia control panel and it said I was using a crt monitor instead of my lcd..

--

About the Soft reset ata errors at the startup of 9.04, I have looked through several posts am I missing a fix somewhere in them I haven't seen any and wasn't sure.