PDA

View Full Version : Would downloading Red Hat from a torrent be illegal?

Ranax
August 15th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Does Red Hat allow you to download it and support is payed for like Ubuntu or is it like Windows?

MaxIBoy
August 15th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I believe that without paying, you will not have access to updates or support. But I could easily be wrong.

I would suggest going for Fedora, which is basically the desktop version of RedHat, or CentOS, which is an almost-exact clone made by compiling RedHat sources.

john stiles
August 15th, 2009, 04:33 AM
You can apparently try it free for a 30 day trial and thereafter the pricing policy is:

https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/desktop/

The Fedora Project is a Red Hat sponsored and community supported open source project version. You can download that free anytime you wish.

....or stick with Ubuntu!

Oh and by the way by torrent would not be illegal.

Ranax
August 15th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I'm not leaving Ubuntu, I'm just curious about Red Hat.

credobyte
August 15th, 2009, 04:39 AM
RH Enterprise Desktop edition is not an open source project ( downloading from torrents would be illegal ).

Ranax
August 15th, 2009, 04:43 AM
RH Enterprise Desktop edition is not an open source project ( downloading from torrents would be illegal ).

Oh ok nevermind then. Thanks :)

gletob
August 15th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Actually it is open source software, but you pay for the precompiled ISOs.

credobyte
August 15th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Actually it is open source software, but you pay for the precompiled ISOs.

You pay for the CD, you pay for the support .. doesn't smell good :-s

Frak
August 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
You pay for the CD, you pay for the support .. doesn't smell good :-s
Tell that to a corporation, i.e. What RedHat markets to.

twright
August 15th, 2009, 05:30 AM
CentOS is exactly like redhat but you can download it freely, the graphics say CentOS not redhat and it does not come with any support.

Viva
August 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
RedHat has some proprietary components(along with the redhat branding and trademarks), so it is illegal to download it without buying a license. You can try centos, which removes all the non-free components from redhat.