PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.04 NR + Averatec

oldlaptop
August 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM
My little brother has this computer:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2544

He had problems with windows, and I hate it personally. (I use mac and ubuntu on my desktop)

He had like 7 trojans and his hard drive was all f*****. So I wiped it instead of cleaning 300 files from the registry, going through out his whole computer... He gets so many viruses, so I see it more logical to switch his OS to a less... easily tainted one.

So, this has an AMD, and I read Netbook was for intel atom notebook processors. Would this work?

If So what must I do to make every aspect work?

oldlaptop
August 15th, 2009, 04:01 AM
helppp please?

raymondh
August 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
looks like it's got a cd/dvd drive ... try out the liveCD and see how it goes.

UNR (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR) is optimized for screenspace ..... not because of the processor/cpu. If you want, you can also install a regular jaunty and just add the necessary UNR packages.

oldlaptop
August 15th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Jaunty, the reso is screwed up for everything. I know I run it on my desktop.

Well. I booted from my flash drive. The touchpad does not work?
The reso seems a lil bit to big also. (i need 1024x768 the screen is clipped cause its not set small enough so I can't see much.

oldlaptop
August 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Heallppp please!

oldlaptop
August 16th, 2009, 04:40 AM
BUMP! I am sorry for so much Newbish bumping, but I have 8 hours before he gets home and finds out instead of fixing it, ubuntu didn't work :/

Don't want to let the kid down.

Guess I better install Windows back.

eldragon
August 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
messing with someone else's hardware without his consent is always a bad idea.

oldlaptop
August 16th, 2009, 05:19 AM
He asked me to fix it as his windows was ******. He asked me also if linux is safer (like virus wise) and it is, so I told him I'd do it. I just want to do it.

raymondh
August 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Jaunty, the reso is screwed up for everything. I know I run it on my desktop.

Well. I booted from my flash drive. The touchpad does not work?
The reso seems a lil bit to big also. (i need 1024x768 the screen is clipped cause its not set small enough so I can't see much.

Quick check ...

1. Have you installed the drivers (restricted or otherwise). System > administration > hardware drivers?
2. My laptop has a Fn key that allows me to toggle on/off the touchpad. Would you have one as well and could you check if it's off?
3. System > preference > display (or screen resolution) ... see if you have the desired resolution as an option.

Good luck.

oldlaptop
August 16th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Quick check ...

1. Have you installed the drivers (restricted or otherwise). System > administration > hardware drivers?
2. My laptop has a Fn key that allows me to toggle on/off the touchpad. Would you have one as well and could you check if it's off?
3. System > preference > display (or screen resolution) ... see if you have the desired resolution as an option.

Good luck.
Nope. Don't have any of those.

My screen is cut off, to the point I can't see anything.

benmoran
August 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM
If you can navigate to it, I would install all updates and restart. Do it via command line if necessary.

oldlaptop
August 16th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I haven't installed yet. Based on the live CD I didn't enjoy so... I will try an install of this, and FireFly.

Ubuntu works perfect on my Desktop however, I do want to note this. (So you don't think I am a hater ;) )

oldlaptop
August 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
UPDATE: Screen Reso is fine. Verrrrry slow though. Mouse/touchpad still does not respond/work.