PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Only of the two ports on my Sound Card Work

abi0909
August 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1330. The sound card in my laptop has 3 ports : 2 ports for headphones and 1 port for MIC. But out of the 2 ports for headphones, only one works. If I plug in my headphones on the other port, there is no sound from my headphones. But still the speakers get muted once I plug in my headphones on the second port.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Abi

nixscripter
August 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
You might want to check your mixer levels. The second port might be muted.

Use the alsamixer command line utility is my suggestion. Use up and down arrows to adjust volume, M to toggle mute.

tarunmittal_86
September 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
heyy.. i had similar problems few days back.. I have got a dell xps M1530, i resolved the issue u have:
go to volume control by right clicking the volume button (usually top right), click on preferences, use HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer) from combo box, click on prefernces, select following checkboxes:
Master, PCM, Front, Surround, Center, IEC958 Digital Playback Source, digital input source
you'll get volume controls for these, increase volumes to MAX for all..

It worked for me, hope it works for you too, now i have another problem, only one headphone jack works at a time, and both won't work simultaneously. if u get any help with this issue to kindly update.