PDA

View Full Version : Could your laptop be worth millions?

Derek Djons
January 31st, 2006, 09:15 PM
A few days ago I saw this subject passing on the news.

A report released Friday by security-software company Symantec suggests that an ordinary notebook holds content valued at 550,000 pounds ($972,000), and that some could store as much as 5 million pounds--or $8.8 million--in commercially sensitive data and intellectual property.

Source & Full story: ZD Net - Where Technology Means Business (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6032177.html)

Of course I believe there are a lot of employees just doing their thing not minding the risks there are. But in my very humble opinion companies such as Symantec enhance their publications with more subjective points than real facts.

A report released Friday by security-software company Symantec suggests that an ordinary notebook holds content valued at 550,000 pounds ($972,000), and that some could store as much as 5 million pounds--or $8.8 million--in commercially sensitive data and intellectual property.

How much employees of such top-notch companies are walking daily through Harlem carrying there laptop on one shoulder. These people own cars, travel in the middle of hundreds of cars on the freeway. And how do you want to recognize them. The whole world is digitizing, more and more people carry a laptop. Not every top-notch manager wears pure silk.

"It's alarming that executives have mobile devices containing data of such financial value and that very little is being done to protect the information on them," said Lindsey Armstrong, a vice president for Europe, the Middle East and Africa at Symantec.

How much of this information is really secret. A lot of financial data ends up at stock holders, on the news and all kinds of goverment departments.

The threat of stolen laptops is a real concern. About 50 percent of respondents to an FBI computer crime survey said their organization had suffered theft of a notebook or other mobile gear in 2005.

How much of 50% is about data? Most thefts are related to selling on the stolen laptop.

"It is critical that businesses start looking beyond just the price of the hardware and recognize that they also need to invest in protecting the data stored on these machines," Armstrong said.

Wow! Isn't that great marketing?! He blows me, I really didn't see it coming!

Past research in the U.K. suggests that as many as 10,000 laptops are left in the backs of British taxis each year and civil servants are among the worst offenders.

Oh my God... roflmao :) Amazing, people would lose an elephant if it wasn't their propety, but if it's theirs, they don't even dare to release the shoulder cord.

xequence
January 31st, 2006, 09:33 PM

Theyre stupid. On a 80GB laptop hard drive you could only fit just over 3 million $ worth of stuff.

public_void
January 31st, 2006, 09:48 PM
Theyre stupid. On a 80GB laptop hard drive you could only fit just over 3 million $ worth of stuff.

According to this google video, you can more valuable data on a laptop. link (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6219688484727192143&q=stolen+laptop).

TechSonic
January 31st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Muahahahahahaha!

Derek Djons
January 31st, 2006, 11:01 PM
According to this google video, you can more valuable data on a laptop. link (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6219688484727192143&q=stolen+laptop).

That teacher shouldn't be yellin' all the way like that. He might find himself also in trouble for being uncareful with the data while knowning how important it all was. He won't get credits for his security messeasures :)

saubz
January 31st, 2006, 11:27 PM
that guy didn't sound pleased.

and i bet the thief student had a nice brown stain in his drawers after that little speach

red_Marvin
January 31st, 2006, 11:34 PM
Ah, well, the laptop is probably just filled with pr0n, and that's why he's so upset :p

Anyway on the bottom right the word "Fake" is printed...

TechSonic
January 31st, 2006, 11:47 PM
If I were the one who stole that computer, you can be 4 things.

1. Remove networking.
2. Remove Windows. (After of course I see what goodies are on it via drive mount from another computer.)
3. Put in different networking.
4. Install Ubuntu.