PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu One and flash drive corruption?

slamhound
August 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone have any problems with their usb flash drives being corrupted while using Ubuntu One? A few days after installing it, I had a problem where my flash drive became read-only. I googled it and one of the posts linked it to issues with both Drop-Box (which I use) and Ubuntu One. I installed a waiting update for One, and then the read-only problem was fixed (though I'm not entirely sure that the update was what fixed it).

A few days later, the entire drive was corrupted. I assumed it was because it was somewhat old, so I bought a new one. Then a few days later, that one became corrupted and I had to reformat. This happened twice more with the new drive.

I thought back to the fix for my read-only problem and thought that perhaps Ubuntu One could be related. So I uninstalled One and have not had a problem with any flash drives since.

Because I did not think of the connection until I decided to remove One, I didn't do any investigating to see what was responsible; but I thought I'd post to see whether anyone else had similar problems and whether there is a pattern. It might be just a coincidence, but I thought I'd check.

By the way, I'm on Jaunty, amd64.

cariboo907
August 16th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I would suggest you create a bug report, if the developers don't know about the problem, they can't fix it. Just go to the UbuntuOne (http://https://ubuntuone.com) web site and enter your problem.

joshuahoover
August 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Anyone have any problems with their usb flash drives being corrupted while using Ubuntu One? A few days after installing it, I had a problem where my flash drive became read-only. I googled it and one of the posts linked it to issues with both Drop-Box (which I use) and Ubuntu One. I installed a waiting update for One, and then the read-only problem was fixed (though I'm not entirely sure that the update was what fixed it).

A few days later, the entire drive was corrupted. I assumed it was because it was somewhat old, so I bought a new one. Then a few days later, that one became corrupted and I had to reformat. This happened twice more with the new drive.

I thought back to the fix for my read-only problem and thought that perhaps Ubuntu One could be related. So I uninstalled One and have not had a problem with any flash drives since.

Because I did not think of the connection until I decided to remove One, I didn't do any investigating to see what was responsible; but I thought I'd post to see whether anyone else had similar problems and whether there is a pattern. It might be just a coincidence, but I thought I'd check.

By the way, I'm on Jaunty, amd64.

Can you file a bug report so we can better keep track of this? https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+filebug Corrupting any data or device is a critical bug that we want to make sure gets addressed right away. Also, can you provide any steps or actions you were taking while using the flash drive that might help us narrow down the possibilities?

Thanks!

Joshua Hoover

slamhound
August 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Sure, I'll file a bug, but I don't have a lot of info given that once I thought of the possible connection, I uninstalled Ubuntu One and couldn't test the conditions under which it occurred. As I said, I have no strong evidence that Ubuntu One is related, which is why I wanted to see whether anyone else had the problem. But if it helps, I'll file the bug.