View Full Version : Make Ubuntu familiar

August 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hi, I have really got into linux and Ubuntu, because of the ease and stability. The only problem I have is getting users to familiarise with it.Its actually easier than other OS's because its all there,but the familiarity seems to confuse users... Any Ideas???

August 14th, 2009, 09:30 AM
What? I don't understand your post.

August 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Make it look like whatever they are used to, and then gradually change its look to make it look even better than what they used to use.

Not everybody has a natural tendency for tech stuff so I can understand that people find it difficult to use something when the GUI change, even though I wish they would take an hour to explore why its different and the advantages to it.

August 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I agree with the above post.
Also you could always sit down and help them along or ask them to explore and test it out...

August 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I find that a lot of people who come from Windows seem to get along better with KDE; they like the 'start' menu style of things.

August 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
what i do/did to get people into GNU Linux/Ubuntu is i sit their and show them all the cool stuff and then i say have at it and help when needed its like a new car you could say

August 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I find that a lot of people who come from Windows seem to get along better with KDE; they like the 'start' menu style of things.

gnomenu can be made to act exactly like the windows start menu. but thats not on a default install, nor is it in the repositories.

Mark Phelps
August 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You have several options, depending on how much "like MS Windows" you want your Linux installation to be. I've listed them below in order from (1) least changes to your machine to (2) most changes to your machine.

1) Themes. There are themes you can download and install from gnome-look.org tht will make your Windows and title bars look more like MS Windows. There are XP-like theme (i.e., Luna) and Vista-like themes, and lots of others.

2) Different desktop. For many folks, the KDE desktop has an appearance and behaviour similar to MS Windows. You can change your desktop to KDE, and later, switch it back if you don't like that.

3) Different distro. Unlike Ubuntu, there are Linux distros out there that go to great lengths to look and behave much like MS Windows. Suggest you check the distrowatch.com page for PC Linux OS, for example. This will require a new installation of Linux.

Others may suggest you install Wine and then install all your favorite MS Windows apps. I would strongly advise AGAINST this. Not only does this often not work, if you already have an MS Windows machine, then just use that. Wine can involve a huge amount of work simply to get an MS Windows app to function, and the newer the app, the less likely it will work.