PDA

View Full Version : Does AT&T DSL in the USA have a download cap?

67GTA
August 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I have heard that DSL might be available in my area in the near future. I currently have Wildblue highspeed satellite. It costs 69.95/monthly, and has a 12G monthly download cap. I get 1Mbps down. It is impossible to download every development version of my two favorite distro's (Ubuntu/Opensuse). If I go over my monthly limit, I get cut back to 24kbps for a month. The only other option right now is dial-up. Does DSL have a similar download cap? Their highest plan is only 42.95/month, and gets 6Mbps.

sports fan Matt
August 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I had at&t in Chicago and for the basic speed (cant remember what it was) it was extremely slow for linux. Not sure about the cap, though.

Insightfill
August 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I have heard that DSL might be available in my area in the near future. I currently have Wildblue highspeed satellite. It costs 69.95/monthly, and has a 12G monthly download cap. I get 1Mbps down. It is impossible to download every development version of my two favorite distro's (Ubuntu/Opensuse). If I go over my monthly limit, I get cut back to 24kbps for a month. The only other option right now is dial-up. Does DSL have a similar download cap? Their highest plan is only 42.95/month, and gets 6Mbps.
Check all the fine print before you sign up. They've been exploring download caps in certain areas, but not everywhere. http://gigaom.com/2009/04/20/the-case-of-atts-incredible-shrinking-broadband-tiers/

JOHNNYG713
August 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Hello, I have never heard of A "download cap" hell at just 12 gigs a month I would use that in a day! I have wireless access and download what I want, when I want, as much as I want. And runs a consistent 100 - 180 kbs, depending on the server ! cost is about $45 dollars a month, We have 4 people using 6 computers and everyone downloads as much as they want! and I have had (here in the Chicago land area com-cast dsl high-speed Internet that runs about the same all around ,It takes about 2 1/2 hours to download the full new version of opensuse or Ultimate Edition! and there goes 5 gigs right there ! Where do you live ? If you don't mind me asking. (If no reply I understand) I really hope you get your new dsl with no Caps , it sounds to me like who ever is in charge wants to keep knowledge to a minimum! or they are using sputnik for a satellite ! good luck!

bkratz
August 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM

I have the 3Meg version of AT&T in central Indiana, I usually get about 2.2 M throughput ( 3 only guarantees 1.9!) I pay $30 per month with no cap.

Just went to speedtest.net and found download 2.71 upload 0.4 .

67GTA
August 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'm in rural Kentucky (in the sticks). The only options are dial-up and satellite at present. Satellite internet sucks, but is better than dial-up:) The two satellite ISP's here both have similar caps. The satellite bandwidth is limited to a finite amount of traffic for each beam. They use the caps as a way to make sure a few people aren't sucking up all of the bandwidth. It takes me 1 1/2 hours to download a live CD at 131kbps.

doorknob60
August 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM
If they do have a cap, it's probably a lot higher than 12 GB. My BendBroadband has a 100 GB cap, and I think many other popular companies like Comcast have similar caps (I think Comcast is like 200 GB though dunno), so AT&T probably wouldn't have a cap lower than that, if they have one at all.

gletob
August 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM
IIRC only comcast and time warner cable have caps on their customers. Comcast's is 250 GiB

.Maleficus.
August 14th, 2009, 12:40 AM
IIRC only comcast and time warner cable have caps on their customers. Comcast's is 250 GiB
Charter Communications has a cap as well, and it's 100GB for 15mbps or less subscribers. But between me and my sister I'm almost positive we go over that limit.

67GTA
August 14th, 2009, 12:47 AM
100 is a lot better than 12:)