PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem in installing windows software from removable drive

ravi_buz
August 13th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I am using ubuntu 9.04 and wine 1.1.24 .I am unable to install any windows software from removable drives like cd drive or pendrive.But i am able to install those software if i transfer them to my system . When i tried through terminal i got this error
ravi@ravi-desktop:~$ cd /media/disk/aom1
ravi@ravi-desktop:/media/disk/aom1$ wine SETUP.exe
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/media/disk/aom1', starting in the Windows directory.
wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\SETUP.exe": Module not found
ravi@ravi-desktop:/media/disk/aom1$ fixme:menubuilder:SaveIconResAsXPM Unsupported color depth 32-bit
fixme:menubuilder:SaveIconResAsXPM Unsupported color depth 32-bit

fennec_fox
August 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
As I recall wine doesn't work with windows kernel level drivers so it has problems with some usb devices and such. If it really was ever an issue you could try this but, I'm not sure it would necessarily work for everything.

http://wiki.winehq.org/USB

ravi_buz
August 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM
So is there any way to install games like age of mythology which requir two cd to install it.I cant install it by mountiing or from my HDD

3rdalbum
August 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Create symbolic links from /media/cdrom to ~/.wine/dosdevices/D:, which solves the error message.

Hospadar
August 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
if you arn't sure how to do the above:
let's say your cd mounts to /media/cdrom

ln -s /media/cdrom ~/.wine/dosdevices/D:
the syntax is ln -s(for symbolic link as opposed to hard link) <link target> <link name>