PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bye Bye, Windows XP Pro

Nolli
August 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I am a Apple Mac user and wanted to help a friend with his IBM computer with Windows XP Pro that is misbehaving. I am planning on connecting my laptop via USB and reformat his hard drive, possible into two partitions. I will install Ubuntu and wondering if I install the operating system from my laptop via USB would that work? Or if I download Ubuntu onto a CD/DVD and then install by inserting the CD/DVD into the IBM, would that be easier? I am really leaning on just install Ubuntu on his IBM and say bye bye to Windows XP Pro. Thanks

bchurchill
August 13th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure how you would go about installing the operating system via USB (unless you have a bootable external hard drive that your BIOS can use). What I can tell you is this:

- Using the CD-ROM is REALLY easy, almost definitely easier than using USB in a non-standard way

- The Ubuntu installer has a good partitioner on it, so you probably do not need to partition in advance.

oboedad55
August 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I'm with you on the XP. Bye bye! The easiest thing would be to burn a CD. Just boot the LiveCD, check that your hardware works and then knock yourself out. Any questions, come back here, lots of folks willing to help.
Good luck!

colau
August 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I am a Apple Mac user and wanted to help a friend with his IBM computer with Windows XP Pro that is misbehaving. I am planning on connecting my laptop via USB and reformat his hard drive, possible into two partitions. I will install Ubuntu and wondering if I install the operating system from my laptop via USB would that work? Or if I download Ubuntu onto a CD/DVD and then install by inserting the CD/DVD into the IBM, would that be easier? I am really leaning on just install Ubuntu on his IBM and say bye bye to Windows XP Pro. Thanks
You can install ubuntu from pendrive.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Sceiron
August 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I am really leaning on just install Ubuntu on his IBM and say bye bye to Windows XP Pro.

Should not that be the owners decision, he maybe regret loosing some data when he realizes what happened......?

Nolli
August 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Should not that be the owners decision, he maybe regret loosing some data when he realizes what happened......?

Thanks for your concern. I had already discussed this issue with him and he agreed. I had given him the computer last Christmas as a gift and I was really looking to purchase one without an operating system as I had plan to install Ubuntu. However I got a deal on the IBM, which came with Windows XP Pro SP3.

So now you know the full story.

Nolli
August 13th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hey helpers, if I just insert the Ubuntu cd into the computer, will it partition the hard drive and leave the Windows and install Ubuntu?

django0909
August 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
It will if you tell it to during the installation process, yes :)

andru183
August 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hey helpers, if I just insert the Ubuntu cd into the computer, will it partition the hard drive and leave the Windows and install Ubuntu?

yes it will of you follow the installer rite, you may want to check a walk through to give you a run down 1st just so you know, and windows MUST be on the drive 1st