PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 880522 - playing VCD

hamidi
August 13th, 2009, 04:15 AM
hi
when i insert the CD-ROM in the drive, Ubuntu brings up a window containing of its contents. if its a VCD an additional button titled Open Movie Player appears. when i click on it, Movie Player is started and prompts that a suitable plugin is needed. when i click on Search, it tries to find VCD protocol source plugin, but it seems it can't. in a dialog, it prompts that No packages with the requested plugins found. then it says:

An error occured
The playback of this movie requires a VCD protocol source plugin which is not installed.

what can i do?
thx

mthalis
August 13th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Read this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

ArmenianLeader4
August 13th, 2009, 05:18 AM
you dont have to use the default video player. realplayer is available for free on their website. just google realplayer, download, and use. no WINE nessecary.

hamidi
August 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
i read the document, mthalis, but couldn't find the reason.
i prefer not to use any additional movie player for this purpose. just one video player, which is installed by default with the ubuntu must work. besides, i need to know how to solve the issue, not just to play the VCD. however, i tried vlc and it caused the error:

VLC could not read the file
i couldn't find why. i thought that the cd might be corrupted or be not readable. but the vlc i installed in the virtual machine with Windows could read and play it without any problem.
i'm going to try realplayer as u said also.

hamidi
August 16th, 2009, 12:01 AM
i searched for realplayer in the synaptic package manager and it found no match. i also tried "real player", real player, real AND player, etc. but it found many things but real player!!!

mgmiller
August 16th, 2009, 03:33 AM
realplayer is in the medibuntu repository. You must enable medibuntu first. Once that's done, use synaptic to search for realplayer and you will find it.

Here is the link:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

This repository is also your source for win32codecs, win64codecs, dvdcss2, skype, googleearth and a host of other useful things.

The instructions are really just a bunch of copy and paste into terminal things. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to do the whole thing.