PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect via wireless

stukid
August 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Brand new Dell mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04.1.
I cannot access web via wireless. Wired is fine.
Dell tech support says its my router settings incompatible with Ubuntu, but everything else works- PC's, macs, IPODs, wii, etc.
When I enter WEP code, it cannot connect!

MyR
August 13th, 2009, 01:52 AM
When I enter WEP code, it cannot connect!

Welcome to the forums & Ubuntu!

Not to burst your bubble, but WEP is completely insecure; consider to switching to WPA.

If you must use WEP, what model router do you have?

peace

Bachstelze
August 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but WEP is completely insecure; consider to switching to WPA.

Not to burst your bubble... (http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2008/11/wpa-cracked.ars)

Keep it on-topic please.

MyR
August 13th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Not to burst your bubble... (http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2008/11/wpa-cracked.ars)
From the article: "the security solution, simple: switch to AES-only in WPA2"

But of course I didn't go into too much detail because I was trying to:

Keep it on-topic

In any event, switching the router to WPA is a potential solution to his/her problem.

mapes12
August 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Brand new Dell mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04.1.
I cannot access web via wireless. Wired is fine.
Dell tech support says its my router settings incompatible with Ubuntu, but everything else works- PC's, macs, IPODs, wii, etc.
When I enter WEP code, it cannot connect!Are Dell saying that your wifi adapter has been tested by them and works with the version of Ubu you have installed. Let's have a look at it for you. If it's an internal adapter Applications>Accessories>Terminal
lspcithen copy and paste the output back here.

MyR
August 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Are Dell saying that your wifi adapter has been tested by them and works with the version of Ubu you have installed. Let's have a look at it for you. If it's an internal adapter Applications>Accessories>Terminal
lspcithen copy and paste the output back here.

Some of the Dell minis come with Ubuntu pre-installed (yay!). So I would assume that Dell made sure the WiFi was working before they sent them out the door.